Chapter 7

Adam unlocked his door and went inside to change into some shorts. It was ten at night but still pretty warm. It was a nice night to sit out on the deck and have a nice stiff drink. He poured himself a glass of rum and sat outside in the dark. He looked up at the sky and saw all of the stars sparkling in the night. He sat there thinking about how their plan got ruined. He also couldn't stop thinking about that kiss. Sure, it started out as an act, but it had started feeling more than that as the second kiss grew deeper. Damn Austin for ruining the moment. He face palmed himself. What was he thinking? They had to work together. He needed to get her off of his mind. He swallowed his drink and went inside to grab the bottle to take back outside. He couldn't stop thinking about that kiss or how she felt against him. Her reaction told him that she had enjoyed it, too. Stop it, he told himself. 

         Lindsey looked at herself in the mirror. She tore the rest of the dress off and put on a short and tank set that she slept in. She washed off the make up that had smeared from crying. She didn't want the guys to see how weak she was. Damn Michael. Why was she still afraid? She was a god damn cop, for Pete's sake. It was still too hot inside so she grabbed her bottle of Johnny Walker and her smokes and went out on her deck. She turned her stereo on low to help try to get her to relax. She also kept the light off on her deck. She didn't want to be seen by neighbors. She didn't notice that Adam was on his deck, drinking in the dark. She was also thinking about that kiss. It had been an amazing kiss. It had caused something deep inside her start to awaken. When was the last time anyone had even tried to kiss her? Michael hadn't even kissed her during the last part of her marriage. The love had stopped before she went into the academy. She leaned over the rail with a sigh and lit a cigarette. She took a sip straight out of the bottle. No need for a glass tonight. She needed to stop thinking about that kiss.

           Adam had heard some music playing quietly. He wasn't sure where it was coming from until he heard a soft sigh and saw a light flare for a second. He was hidden in the shadows at a table on his deck. He could see her a little from the glow of her cigarette. He watched as she took a swig from her bottle, wiped a couple of tears off of her face before she sat down on a chair by the rail. She leaned back in the chair and propped her bare feet onto the rail. She had an ashtray on her lap. He could hear her berating herself for letting Michael intimidate her again. She kept asking herself what in the hell was wrong with her. He decided to speak.

          "I guess that I'm not the only one who likes to drink in the dark when it's hot out." He had said. He saw her jump slightly. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. It's just too stuffy inside right now and nice out here."

        "You didn't startle me. I just wasn't expecting anyone to be outside right now." She took a long swallow. She had forgotten how strong this scotch-whiskey blend was. It was helping block Michael from her mind. "I'm sorry that our plan got fucked up tonight. It's a little hard when your cover gets blown." She watched as Adam stood up from where he was sitting, also holding a bottle of alcohol. "Feel like hopping the rail? I don't really like drinking alone sometimes." Why in the hell did she just ask him that? Stupid alcohol she thought as she drank some more.

          "Sure, if you really don't mind." He walked up to the rail that separated her deck from his and climbed over.  She motioned for him to sit in a chair. They heard Austin yelling next door for Chance to hurry up. They were apparently going back out for some fun. It was like a Friday since they pretty much worked from home when they were working on a case like this. She just shook her head. " Looks like your neighbors are going to be gone for awhile."

         "I just hope those two don't go back to that place. Knowing those two as well as I do, they sometimes take it upon themselves to fight my battles when they don't need to."