Chapter 18

Bright and early the next morning, the Fab Four had received a group alert to meet Tim at the railroad tracks that ran behind the Marriott Hotel downtown. Sami and Oleana had to be there, too. Lindsey went to a drive thru Starbucks and got coffee for everyone. This time she was getting a white chocolate mocha, which is still sweet. When they arrived, she noticed that Tim had a very grim look.

         "What do we have, Chief?" Lindsey asked. She noticed that Jenika had called her detectives over to talk to them.

         "What we have is a double homicide. The two people that you busted yesterday wound up here on the tracks. An early jogger found them about an hour ago." 

          Chance walked over to one of the bodies and saw all of the knife wounds. He was pretty sure that the female had the same. 

         "Twenty stab wounds like the others?" Adam asked. Tim nodded.

         "The only good thing is that there might be some forensic evidence left behind this time. It looked like the woman had been raped postmortem. Sick bastard." He was disgusted by the thought. He then looked at Lindsey. "There was another note, Linds. This time directed at you and Sami. Here."

         Lindsey took the note and read it out loud. 

        "It would be so terrible to have to hurt such two lovely ladies. Had to get rid of these two before they talked. I really enjoyed the show last night, blondie. Now back off the case before I have to do this to you and the brunette with curly hair. By the way, you can keep the picture." Lindsey gasped when she saw a picture that someone had taken through her window last night. "Adam, you need to see this picture." She had started to shake visibly.

         "What the fuck?" He yelled. He was pissed as hell. "That means someone followed us last night. How could I have been so stupid not to notice?" He put his arm around Lindsey when he saw her shaking. He tried to calm himself down. He watched as the coroner came and bagged up the bodies. Two more to add to the list. He hoped that Lindsey wasn't going to end up on that list.

         Chance was worried about Sami being included in the letter. Who had been watching them? Was the Cold One at the park yesterday? He hadn't seen anyone else there. Tim had told them that they could leave. Everyone was quiet as they drove back. It was driving Adam crazy that they had been followed.

        "How could I have not seen someone following us? I always pay attention to something like that. How could I let myself get distracted?" He ranted to himself, not noticing the look that Lindsey had given him. She was taking what he had said the wrong way and it hurt her a little. 

        When Lindsey parked her car, everyone got out. Austin and Chance entered their home. Adam started to follow Lindsey until she stopped him.

         "Not tonight, Adam. I don't want to be a distraction to you." She had tears in her eyes as she turned around and went inside, leaving Adam standing there.

       "You mistook what I said, Lindsey. I hadn't meant you." He said before she shut her door.

        Adam just stared at the closed door for a second before heading into his place.

       After  Lindsey shut her door and locked it, she was tackled from behind. There was a man in a mask waiting for her. "I'm going to enjoy fucking you before I kill you and afterwards, bitch." She elbowed him and tried to unlock her door. The man picked her up and threw her hard against a wall, causing a shelf to fall.

         Next door, Austin and Chance had heard the crash.

      "What in the hell was that? You don't think that she and Adam are fighting, do you?" Austin asked Chance.