Chapter 24

The following weekend the group of six went to a company picnic at Franklin Park. The guys were playing in a huge football game against another department. Oleana was busy chatting with Jenika. Sami and Lindsey decided to jog around the perimeter of the park. Nobody at the park noticed the car parked near the entrance waiting for the right moment. The girls were some distance away from the large gathering. As they were making their second lap, Officers Brown and Penn got out of their car with guns drawn.

            "You two bitches are coming with us. The boss wants to see you."

           "I don't think so," Sami said. She wore a hidden knife because it was easier to run with one. She grabbed the knife and threw it swiftly, hitting Officer Penn in the shoulder. He dropped his gun and it went off, stopping the game immediately.

           "You stupid fucking bitch." He punched her so hard that he knocked her unconscious. He was struggling to pick her up with his injured shoulder.

          "Leave her. This is the one that he really wants." Lindsey was putting up a good fight and almost broke free before she was hit in the back of the head. The both picked her up and put her into the car. They drove off just as Adam, Chance and Austin reached them with some other officers. Oleana managed to get the license plate number.

           "Sami!" Chance yelled as he saw her crumpled on the ground. Adam kept running after the car until he couldn't run anymore.

            "They got away, damn it." Adam wanted to hit something so bad. When they heard a gunshot, his heart stopped for a second. He will never forgive himself for not getting to her in time. "We need to find them! NOW!"

         "Adam, calm down. This isn't going to help her. You need to remain calm and listen to what I have to tell you. Ok?" Oleana said calmly. Lindsey had done something that he hadn't known about. Something that could save her life thanks to a conversation she and Sami had with her. "Listen to me. Lindsey is wearing a hidden mic. We convinced her to wear one Incase she had to go somewhere and someone couldn't be with her. She thought that it would be a good idea. She had some sewn into her bras. They have excellent range. We need to set up a command center somewhere and start listening. She will make it back to you. I promise you that, Adam."

           Adam was so scared for her. After he calmed down, Chance also brought up a good point.

         "Adam, don't forget that we were finally able to bug Michael's office last night, too. Come on. We will set up the command center at our place." Chance carried Sami, who had come to, to his car. Austin, you drive Lindsey's car. Adam is in no condition to drive."

          "Everyone, we have a very serious situation here. Detective O'Hare has been abducted. Anyone interested in helping, meet at Austin and Chance's place. We will be setting up a command center there. This takes priority over all other cases. One of our own is in trouble." Chief Foust announced to all of the officers at the gathering. 

          Austin somehow managed to get Adam into the car. He understood how Adam felt. Austin loved her, too, but in a different way.

          "The quicker we get home, Adam, the quicker we can get everything set up. We need to be able to hear her as soon as possible." Adam just stared ahead, feeling numb. He was silently berating himself. This never should have happened at a company picnic. He could only hope that Michael wanted her alive for awhile.  Austin looked at Oleana in the rear view mirror and caught her eye. He could see the worry in them. He hoped that Sami hadn't been hurt real bad. Her quick thinking at least helped to alert everybody to the trouble. Austin parked Lindsey's car. Tim already had a crew setting up all of the equipment in their living room. Adam walked to his place first. He need something strong to drink. He grabbed a bottle of tequila and headed upstairs for a second. Lindsey had brought over her jewelry box when she had to temporarily move in with him. He looked inside and found one of her favorite rings. He hoped that she wouldn't mind if he wore it on the chain that was on his neck. He wanted to keep something of hers with him right now. He walked back downstairs after he put the chain back on. Right now he was also fighting the urge to have a cigarette and he didn't even smoke. He walked into Austin's place and sat down in the kitchen with his bottle of tequila. He looked up when someone set down a few shot glasses. Sami smiled sadly at him and sat down at the table. He poured her a  shot. He had a feeling that more bottles were needed. Chance went to Adam's and grabbed a few different bottles. Even Tim had a shot. It was a bad day for them all. The equipment was all set up finally and Tim had some of his best men at the radios. One guy was listening for ambient noises that could give them clues to the location. They were finally able to hear some voices and a car door slam shut.