Prologue

The sound of skates clicking on the floor, echoed in the basement

The sound of skates clicking on the floor, echoed in the basement. A thirteen-year-old swiftly moved on the ground practicing his daily routines.

A gang of 4-5 boys huddled up around him, and they started mocking him by names. “Isn’t this that skater guy… what’s his name?”

“Sunghoon!” another one of them replied. Sunghoon sat down and removed his skates, he tried not to seem affected by their words. These were the ones who were known to cause trouble and Sunghoon most definitely wasn’t in the mood to face it.

When there was no response, the blond guy which appeared to be the leader of the group, moved closer to Sunghoon and tilted his head, giving him a mocking smirk.

Sunghoon gulped, he was new to this country and his father brought him here for his business purposes.

How dearly he wished he could go back to South Korea. Even though he tried really hard to get accustomed to the language and people, but it was still very difficult for him.

Not being able to speak proper English caused the classmates in class to laugh at him, no one wanted to befriend someone like him. And that attracted the attention of bullies.

He used to learn ice-skating back in South Korea, but this sudden change of environment brought a huge load on him. He couldn’t even peacefully skate on wheels all alone because the bullies followed him everywhere. He clutched those skates tightly and secured them on his chest.

Two of them tried to snatch it away from him, all he could do was to plead them to get it back, “Please don’t. They are new, my dad brought it for me. You broke my old one.” he yelled the last part in korean. And the others laughed at him maniacally.

He desperately got up and chased behind them as they continued to pass those skates from one boy to another.

In the middle of it, he earned a punch across his face, “These are now ours. Go back and cry to your dad.” All of them obnoxiously laughed at Sunghoon. The pain brought tears brimming in his eye socket. He wanted to fight them, but he would only get hurt like before and worry his mom.

So, he bit his lips, in order to stop his shuddering chin, and closed his eyes to stop his tears. He didn’t want to cry, not in front of his bullies.

“Give that back to him!” A voice echoed in the basement and Sunghoon turned around to take a good look at the owner.

The boy had chocolate brown hair and a firm stern was spread wide across his face.

“Look who is here!” The shortest on of them exclaimed and sneered at him.

“Isn’t it the famous Jake, the one who gets straight A’s.” another one of the boys named Robert alleged. “What brings you here? Shouldn’t you be home, studying?” He asked Jake and the rest of the boys cackled.