𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 18

Hours passed. Long. Excruciating. Hours. Nurses came in and came out. Mary stirred but never fullen woken. It was less than they hoped but more than what they could've gotten. Since it was so late and visiting hours were limited, John B and Pope reluctantly called it a night. They'll be back in the morning.

Luke is gone temporarily. Grabbing their duffle bags and other hygiene items they would need for the next couple of days. He insisted JJ go with him just for some fresh air, but he declined his offer. Now he lays on the small couch with his legs draped over the arm. He watches the tv playing some vintage sitcom from the sixties.

JJ is slowly dozing off making the black and white screen mix into a grey muffled blur. His breathing gets slower once it's steady but unfortunately is startled by his phone vibrating on his chest. He quickly grabbed it, holding it up to his face. It's Kiara.

A subconscious grin broke out. He didn't know how much he needed to talk to her until now. JJ got up and went to the door, not wanting to wake Mary.

"Couldn't last without me, huh?" He quipped, shutting the door quietly.

"Well, you're the one who picked up so who really needed who?"

The blonde chuckled leaning against the wall.

"Fair."

"I know it is, now I'm calling because are you free tonight?"

"No sorry, something happened. Something...important."

"Oh okay, that's fine. Are you alright?"

"To be honest with you, no, I'm not."

She grew concerned, "You wanna talk about it, or rant about it?"

Kiara felt genuine care for JJ. He was there for her that night, might as well return the favor. He's her only friend anyway.

He hesitated, "Uh no, I'm good, but thanks."

JJ doesn't want her to know about his mom. He doesn't want her to know that they're in debt. He doesn't want her to know that they're broke and maybe even homeless if you want to think that far. Not out of fear that she'll make fun of him or leave him but out of fear that he himself hasn't even accepted it.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Oh, If you decide to, you know where to find me."

Kiara's never this sweet to him. Like ever. JJ doesn't want to push her away and he definitely doesn't want to lose her. It's a weird feeling. A scary feeling. But he likes it. It's going to take some time getting used to though.

"How about Friday?" He asked, abruptly.

"Friday?"

"Yeah, you clearly have something to get off your mind too."

"Do I, now?"

"Mhm, you're not really taunting me, calling me an idiot and you sound like you need someone to talk to."

"Impressed that you got all of that from a thirty second phone call."

He let out an airy chuckle, "Looking back on it, I sound like a creep."

"I wouldn't say that, maybe a dearly concerned friend."

"A dearly concerned friend?"

"Yeah, you're worried and that's okay."

"I'm not worried."

"Oh, you're so worried."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Can I just be nice?"

"Either way, it's adorable that you care." she teased.

"Adorable? Okay now I take back everything nice I just said."

He heard her sweet giggles through the other line.

"Don't let your ego stop you from being decent, JJ."

He leaned his head back staring off into the distance. Still having the smile that never left.

"Yeah,"

"Welp, I have to go but I shall see you...Friday?"

"Yup."

"Time? Place?"

"Haven't figured it out yet."

"Ah, classic JJ. Never prepared for anything. Let me know when you do, okay."

Without getting a word out, she hung up. He took the phone away from his ear, looking down at it.

"What are you smiling about?" Luke asked, walking up to him.

In his hands he holds their bags and Chinese food he picked up along the way.

"Nothin."

"You sure, you're grinning ear to ear over there."

He looked up, shoving his phone in his pocket. "Just a friend."

Luke chuckled, "It's that Carrera girl isn't it?"

He leaned off the wall going to the door. "You mean Kie?"

"Ohhh, so she does have a name." he smiled, following.

"It's nothing, we barely just started being friends."

"Sooo, is this going to be a permanent thing?"

He set his hand on the knob, "Yeah, why?"

"Just asking," he shrugged.

The minute JJ opened the door they were greeted by blue drowsy eyes. Their hearts grew warm and their grins shined brightly. Everything was right in the world.

"Hey sweetheart," Mary spoke quietly.

JJ couldn't contain himself as he walked over and embraced her delicately. She smiled, rubbing his back. Luke set down the bags and joined them. He kissed her forehead softly a couple of times before resting his head on hers.

"Almost thought I lost you." he whispered.

"I ain't going nowhere, baby."

Mary may know that she's not going to last forever but she will put up a hell of a fight to stay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until next time <3

Sincerely, Nicole🤎