𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 20

Kiara and Sarah got the last of their groceries. They agreed to grab dinner at the Wreck after the fact.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

They sat across from each other in silence. Only the sound of nearby customers and clacking plates and silverware were to be heard. Both shared a couple glances and awkward smiles.

"So..." Sarah started, twirling her fork around the spaghetti. "How have you been?"

Kiara didn't know how to answer that question. If she was being truthful, she would've said she was bored. She spent her time in complete isolation and didn't know what else to do. The dishes were clean because she washed them all, clothes were clean because she did them all, house was spick and span, and a mountain of drawings were sitting in her box that the lid is almost out of reach. She did every possible thing conceivable that nothing else excited her. Kiara wanted to call but she had to stand by her ground. Because if she let herself feel the slightest bit guilty- then it implies that she's weak.

She hates feeling weak.

"I've been good, y'know. Just...livin it up." she lied, taking a sip of her pink lemonade.

"Good, good um...did you hang with-"

"JJ?" her eyebrow raised, setting her drink down.

She was given a hesitant nod.

"No, not since the morning after the storm."

Sarah nodded again, but slowly this time. "Oh, so like he just dipped and never called?"

"Ask Rafe, he was there wasn't he?" she folded her arms, leaning back in her chair becoming aware of what she really wants.

"Listen,I'm just trying to get the story right."

"Why?"

"Because-"

"Because what?"

Sarah shifted her gaze then back to her again, "Because I don't want you to get hurt."

Kiara sighed quietly, "I know this is hard to believe, but JJ is a cool person, okay?" "He's funny, maybe caring if you let him, and he's not some conceited asshat who just uses people." "He's my friend, so could you please lay off him?"

Sarah stared for a few seconds before a small grin broke out turning into a cheesy smile. Kiara furrowed her brows slightly confused.

"What?"

She now folds her arms and leans back in her seat, " I haven't seen you defend a boy this much since Peter Mackenshaw in the sixth grade."

The brunette chuckled, rolling her eyes. "Shut up."

"I'm serious, on the phone you were defending him like your life depended on it." she teased.

"Oh my gosh."

"It did, I mean do you-"

"No, no I don't."

She held up her hand with her pointer and middle finger almost touching, "Not even a little?"

"Sarah-" She giggled.

The blonde held her arms up in surrender, " Just wondering, just wondering."

Kiara shook her head. Sarah never could be serious with conversations like these. The girls continued to eat, just chit chatting about all the things they've missed. All the sleepless nights they had and even another heartfelt apology from Sarah. They eventually left not wanting their ice cream to melt on their perfect leather seats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until next time,

Sincerely, Nicole 🤎