Chapter 8: The Stray

3rd Person POV

City of Vale

As Ruby, Yang, Phoenix, Blake, and Weiss walked down the street, Phoenix spotted a sign being raised that said, 'Welcome to Vale.' It must have been part of the Vytal festival.

"The Vytal festival!" Weiss exclaimed happily. "Oh, this is absolutely wonderful."

"I don't think I've ever seen you smile this much, Weiss," Ruby commented. "It's kind of weirding me out."

"I know, right?" Phoenix agreed. "It's so unlike the Ice Queen we've come to know and love, I don't even recognize her."

"Shut it, you dunce!"

"Never mind, it's her."

"And how can you not smile?" Weiss went on. "A festival dedicated to the cultures of the world! There will be dances! Parades! A tournament!"

"Wait for it," Phoenix muttered.

"Oh, the amount of planning and organization that goes into this event is simply breath-taking!"

"And there it is," Phoenix sang.

"Shut up!" Weiss snapped.

"You really know how to take a good thing and make it sound boring," Yang complained as the group started down the street again.

"Quiet, you!"

As they rounded a corner, Yang spoke up. "Remind me again why we're spending our Friday afternoon visiting the stupid docks?"

Phoenix shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe because Weiss cream is less likely to melt out here?"

Weiss swatted him.

"The docks smell like fish," Ruby complained.

"I've heard that students visiting from Vacuo will be arriving by ship today," Weiss said, turning to them, "and as a representative of Beacon, I feel as though it is my solemn duty to welcome them to this fine kingdom!"

"She just wants to spy on them," Phoenix deadpanned.

"Yeah, so she'll have the upper hand in the tournament," Blake said as they started walking down a street parallel to the docks.

"Ugh! You can't prove that!"

"Whoa." Ruby halted, and everyone turned to see a large sectioned-off area, guarded by a pair of policemen.

"What happened here?" Phoenix asked, walking over.

"Robbery," one of the men replied. "Second Dust shop to be hit this week. This place is turning into a jungle."

"That's terrible," Yang said.

"They left all the money again," the other police officer stated.

"Huh?" Everyone turned to him.

"Yeah, just doesn't make a lick of sense," the first cop muttered. "Who needs that much Dust?"

"I dunno. An army?"

"You thinking the uh, White Fang?"

"Yeah, I'm thinking we don't get paid enough."

"Hmph, the White Fang," Weiss huffed. "What an awful bunch of degenerates."

"What's your problem?" Blake demanded.