Chapter 19: Mountain Glenn

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"Professor Oobleck?" Weiss asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary, children," the professor said, pacing rapidly in front of them, "seeing as you've opted to shadow a huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission. I can assure you we will not be establishing a single base of operations. Rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland and making camp in any defendable locations we may stumble upon. I've packed all our essentials myself, plotted our course, and readied the airship. And it's Doctor Oobleck," he added, looking at Weiss. "I didn't earn the PhD for fun, thank you very much."

"You're welcome," Phoenix deadpanned.

"Come now, children!" Oobleck said, raising a finger into the air. "According to my schedule, we are already three minutes behind... schedule." With that, he zoomed over to the airship.

Phoenix blinked. "Well, alrighty then." What is in that coffee of his? he wondered.

"Looks like we're going to save the world with Doctor Oobleck..." Ruby said cheerfully, trailing off at the end. "Okay, yeah, when you say it out loud, it sounds worse."

"It sounds bad thinking about it," Phoenix grumbled.

"Save the world?!"

Everyone turned and saw Teams JNPR and CMEN walking over.

"You're going on world-saving missions without us?" Nora complained. "I'm hurt! Sad! Maybe a little hungry! That last one's not your fault, though... Ren."

"And here I thought we were friends," Mercury joked.

"If you can call us that," Yang countered.

"What else can I call us?"

"Flirting antics aside," Cinder said, holding out a hand and stopping Yang and Mercury from going at it... again. "You're going to save the world again?"

Phoenix shrugged. "Pretty much."

"Sounds exciting," Jaune commented. "Where are you going?"

"Just outside the kingdom," Ruby replied.

"Hey, so are we!" Nora said excitedly.

"Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village," Pyrrha explained.

"We set out tomorrow," Ren said.

Mercury snorted. "You guys are lucky. We got stuck patrolling around the border for Grimm. We're gonna be heading out in a couple days."

"Meaning, more boring days listening to Mercury," Emerald said, rolling her eyes while Nyx snickered quietly. Even Cinder fought back a smile.

"So," Phoenix said, nodding at Jaune's and Pyrrha's intertwined hands. "You guys finally a thing?"

"Yep," Jaune replied with a smile as Pyrrha leaned her head on his shoulder.

"It took him long enough," Pyrrha said with a smile. "He asked me out after the dance."

"About time," Yang said.

Phoenix looked over at Mercury. "You know what this means."

Mercury sighed and tossed him some Lien. "You cheated."