Prologue

Vale

3rd Person POV

The shattered moon of Remnant gleamed above as two figures walked down the street, one being a middle-aged man with silver hair and brown eyes using a cane, and a blond woman with bright green eyes wearing a simple white uniform with a strange purple cape.

"Are you sure this is wise, Ozpin?" The woman asked as they looked across at the club at the end of the street. 

"Recruiting someone like

"Recruiting someone like... him?"

"While this may not be wise, Glynda," Ozpin responded, "it would be even more unwise to judge a man before we even meet him."

Sighing, Glynda nodded reluctantly, and the two of them walked into the bar, passing two bouncers at the entrance

"Are you sure this is the place?" Glynda asked, looking around. "And are you sure he'll even accept?"

"I am certain that, properly handled, we can come to a mutual agreement," Ozpin stated, eyes scanning the bar. Consequently, he saw something interesting happening over at the pool table placed in the corner of the club.

A young man, probably no older than 19, clad in black jeans, a black leather jacket, leather gloves and pads on his legs, a hood covering his face in shadow, stepped up to the table, holding a pool stick. Aiming, the boy hit the cue ball into the eight, sinking it in a corner pocket and winning the game.

The boy reached over for some money on the table, only for a man wearing a black tux to grab his wrist. "That doesn't belong to you, punk," the man growled. Behind the boy, another man came up behind him, drawing a switchblade.

Glynda made to intervene, but Ozpin stopped her, curious to see how this would play out.

"I'll give you one chance to run home," the man threatened. "Or else I'll—"

He was cut off when the boy smacked the man in the side of the head with the pool stick before twisting and jabbing the other end into the second man's jaw, knocking him out before twisting the stick to the ground, breaking it in half.

A third man hurled a knife at the boy, but the boy dodged it. The man threw another knife, only for the boy to deflect it with the pool stick, sending it into the man's forehead and taking him out.

As several bouncers went to clean up the mess, Ozpin turned to Glynda. "I believe, that is our man."

Timeskip brought to you by Phoenix smacking Ozpin with a pool stick for fun

"So, let me get this straight," the boy said as he sat across from Ozpin and Glynda at a table, a small dagger twirling in his fingers. "You want me, a mercenary, to come to your school as one of your students?"

Ozpin nodded. "That is correct, Mr. Blaze."

"And why would I accept this offer?" Phoenix asked curiously, amber eyes glowing brightly in the shadow of his hood.

"We can pay you," Ozpin replied.

"Six conditions, and I'll consider your offer," Phoenix replied.

"You have no right to—" Glynda started, but Ozpin cut her off.

"And what would those conditions be?"

"1: No uniform," Phoenix stated. "2: I get to leave whenever I want, no questions asked. 3: If I see any bullying or discrimination, I handle it my way. Same goes if I am provoked. 4: I can carry my weapons with me at all times. 5: No homework. 6: I want to get paid well. If I'm going to be risking my neck as a huntsman, I want to be fairly compensated."

"How much?" Ozpin asked, cutting off Glynda's protests.

"200 Lien," Phoenix said. "Per week. Plus a bonus for every successful mission."

Ozpin nodded. "Anything else?"

"Agree to my terms, and I'll consider your offer," Phoenix replied.

"And what makes you think I won't just back out?" Ozpin asked.

"Simple," Phoenix replied. "You wouldn't have come to me unless you were prepared to pay the price."

"Very well," Ozpin said, standing up. "If you accept my offer, I will fulfill your conditions."

"Very well," Phoenix replied. "If you accept my conditions, I will consider your offer."

Ozpin nodded and walked out of the club, Glynda following. "Are you really just going to let him do that?" she hissed.

"I can sense a lot of potential in this boy, Glynda," Ozpin stated. "Properly handled, he will grow into a formidable huntsman. Money is a small price to pay for skill such as his."

"Fine," Glynda sighed. "But if this backfires—"

"It will not," Ozpin stated.

As the two of them left, Phoenix watched them for a long moment, thoughts wandering.

Knife vanishing in a burst of flame, he pulled out a photo and examined it, amber eyes glinting as he looked upon the image of two young children who were smiling up at the camera.

Pocketing the picture, Phoenix stood and tossed Junior, the bar owner, a wad of Lien. "For the damage."

Junior stared at him, surprised. 

"You feeling alright, Phoenix?"

Phoenix laughed. "I'm fine. Just figured since this might be my last night here for a while, I might as well entertain everyone." He turned and shouted to the bar, "Drinks on me!"

Everyone cheered.

As the occupants of the room stormed the bar, Phoenix grinned before walking into the shadows, amber eyes catching the light, and disappeared in a whirl of flames.