Chapter 4: Initiation

3rd Person POV

Emerald Forest

"How the Hell are there no Grimm?!" Phoenix exclaimed. So far, he had only encountered those Beowolves and a pair of Ursa Major. "I mean, seriously?! I thought this forest was supposed to be teaming with Grimm."

As he ranted, a Beowolf leapt out to attack him from behind, but he held out a hand and shot a spear of obsidian into its chest, killing it. "I mean, come on!" Phoenix continued. "Is there seriously no freaking..." He trailed off as he heard the sound of hoofbeats, and he turned to see a Nuckelavee stalking toward him, long arms swinging. 

Phoenix grinned

Phoenix grinned. "About time. I was starting to get bored."

The Grimm lashed out with one of its arms, but Phoenix dodged. Summoning a spear, he launched it toward the Grimm, only for it to deflect the attack with one of its arms.

"This might take longer than I thought," Phoenix muttered and summoned a sword and spear combination.

On Beacon Cliff

"Our last pair has been formed, sir," Glynda informed, walking up to Ozpin, scroll in hand. "Nora Valkyrie and Lie Ren. Poor boy. I can't possibly imagine those two getting along. Still, he's probably better off than Ms. Nikos."

"Hmm..." Ozpin replied, watching his scroll intently.

"I don't care what his transcripts say," Glynda continued. "That Jaune fellow is not ready for this level of combat."

"Hmm..." Ozpin replied, watching his scroll where footage was displayed of a certain mercenary fighting the Nuckelavee.

"Are you still certain about your decision of bringing a mercenary here?" Glynda asked in distaste. "You know they only fight for the right price."

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, Glynda," Ozpin replied, sipping his coffee mug. "Properly handled, I believe that young Phoenix can grow into just the piece we need to defeat her."

"I guess we'll find out soon enough," Glynda sighed.

Back with Phoenix

Rolling backward on the tip of his foot, Phoenix sidestepped the Nuckelavee as it whipped its other arm at him.

The Nuckelavee swung at him again, and Phoenix backflipped, dodging it.

Okay, he thought, examining the Grimm as it prepared for another attack. All I have to do is find a weak spot. Shouldn't be too hard.

Just as he thought this, the Nuckelavee swung at him again, forcing him to deflect with a shield. "Scratch that," he growled. Knocking the Grimm's hand off to the side, Phoenix summoned his bow and fired a trio of arrows at the Nuckelavee's head, but it blocked with its arms. As it did so, Phoenix's eyes were drawn to where the Grimm's torso connected with its lower horse half and grinned.