Chapter 24: A Brawl in the Family

3rd Person POV

Beacon Airstrip

"Wait, hold on," Phoenix said as he and Ruby ran after Weiss while the heiress ran to where the ship was landing. "Your sister? As in, Ironwood's right hand?"

"That's her," Weiss confirmed.

"Who?" Ruby asked, coming to a stop beside them as the airship docked.

"Winter," Weiss replied.

"Wait..."Ruby said slowly as a tall woman bearing a striking resemblance to Weissstepped out. 

"Yoursister?"

"Yoursister?"

"Winter!" Weiss called and ran over.

Hearing her voice, the elder Schnee sibling turned as the three of them caught up to her.

"Winter, I'm so happy to see you," Weiss said enthusiastically before catching herself. "Oh. Your presence honors us." She curtsied, and Phoenix facepalmed while Ruby stood there cluelessly.

Looking around, Winter examined the courtyard. "Beacon..." she mused. "It's been a long time. The air feels... different."

"It is fall, so it's probably warmer than what you're used to," Phoenix commented, earning a hard punch to the shoulder from Weiss.

"So, what are you doing here?" Weiss asked.

"Classified," Winter replied.

"Oh, right. Well, how long are you staying?" Weiss asked.

"Classified."

"Everything's classified these days," Phoenix whispered to Ruby, who giggled slightly.

"Of course," Weiss said in response to Winter.

An awkward silence filled the air, and Phoenix could have sworn he heard crickets chirping.

"Well, this is nice..." Ruby said awkwardly. "I think."

"You're going to love it here!" Weiss said excitedly. "I know you travel a lot, but so much of Beacon is different from Atlas. Vale, too... the government and school are completely separate; can you believe it? I—"

"I'm more than familiar with how this kingdom handles its... bureaucracy," Winter cut in as two Atlas robots stepped down behind her. "That is not why I came."

"Right. I'm sorry," Weiss apologized hurriedly.

"Nor did I come here to watch my own blood fail so miserably in battle..." Winter added. "But it appears I have no choice in the matter."