Chapter 11: Welcome to Beacon

3rd Person POV

Beacon Hall

"Hmmmm..." Ruby mused as she, Yang, Blake, Weiss, and Phoenix sat around a table, cards in each of their hands. "Alright!" she announced. "Yang Xiao Long, prepare your kingdom for battle!"

"Bring it on!" Yang challenged.

"I deploy the Atlesian Air Fleet!" Ruby shouted victoriously, raising her card into the air.

Yang gasped.

"Looks like I get to fly right over your Ursai and attack your walls directly!" Ruby said cheerfully.

"You fiend!" Yang shouted.

"And since Atlas is part of Mantle, my repair time only lasts one turn," Ruby added smugly.

Yang laughed. "Pretty sneaky, sis." She held up a card. "But you've just activated my trap card!"

Ruby gulped.

"Giant Nevermore!" Yang said triumphantly, slamming the card on the table. "If I roll a seven or higher, Fatal Feathers will slice your fleet in two."

"But, if you roll a six or lower, the Nevermore will turn on your own forces," Ruby countered.

"That's just a chance I'm willing to take," Yang stated.

Five Seconds Later

"Nooooooooo, my fearless soldiers!" Ruby sobbed.

"Eh, most of them were probably androids," Yang said offhandedly.

"Goodbye, my friends," Ruby cried. "You will be avenged!"

"Not until I draw my rewards," Yang sang. "Which are doubled this round, thanks to the Mistral trade route!"

"Bah!"

"Oh, and what's this?" Yang asked smugly, pointing down at the map. "The Smugglers of Wind Path?"

"Bah! Bah, I say!"

"Looks like I'm taking two cards from your hand," Yang said triumphantly.

"Have you no heart?!"

"She doesn't," Phoenix deadpanned, going over his cards. "Weiss, it's your turn."

"I have... absolutely no idea what's going on," Weiss confessed.

"Look, it's easy," Phoenix said, sliding over next to her. "You're playing as Vacuo, meaning that all Vacuo-based cards come with a bonus."

"That sounds dumb."

"See... you've got Sandstorm, Desert Scavenge... Oh! Oh! Resourceful Raider!" Yang said, sliding over to Weiss's other side and examining her cards.

"What does that mean?"

"It means that you can take Ruby's discard air fleet—" Phoenix said, ignoring Ruby sobbing in the background, "—and put it in your hand."

"Okay?"

"And since Vacuo warriors have an endurance boost against natural hazards, you could use Sandstorm to disable my ground forces and simultaneously infiltrate my kingdom!" Yang explained. "Just know that I will not forget this declaration of war."