Chapter 31: The Battle of Beacon: Part 2

3rd Person POV

The Vault

With a loud hiss the doors opened and Ozpin entered, 'Jaune' and 'Pyrrha' at his side. "Come," he ordered and dashed inside, the two members of Team JNPR following close behind.

"What is this place?" 'Jaune' asked, running beside 'Pyrrha.' Several minutes after their arrival, Ozpin had contacted 'Pyrrha,' calling her down to the vault with an ominous message. It's time.

"It's... a type of vault," 'Pyrrha' replied, glancing back at him as the three ran down the long hallway toward the machine in the distance.

"You've... been here before?" 'Jaune' asked, looking at her, eyes wide.

'Pyrrha' nodded silently.

"What would the school need to...?" 'Jaune' trailed off. Skidding to a stop, he stared in shock at the machine in front of them, Amber concealed inside the left pod. "What... who..."

'Pyrrha' looked at him sadly as Ozpin typed in a command on the keyboard, opening the second pod. "Jaune... I..."

"Pyrrha," Ozpin said hastily, gesturing to the empty coffin-like pod. "Get to the pods."

Casting a hesitant glance toward 'Jaune,' 'Pyrrha' darted to the pod's side.

"Mr. Arc, if you'd like to help, you can stand guard here," Ozpin said, pointing at a spot in front of the machine.

Hesitating, 'Jaune' nodded and turned, lowering his visor and raising his shield, sword held parallel to the ground.

"What do we do now?" 'Pyrrha' asked as Ozpin typed rapidly into a keyboard.

Ozpin sighed. "We... do nothing," he replied as the door to the pod opened with a loud hiss. "You, Ms. Nikos... have a choice to make."

'Pyrrha' hesitated, glancing toward the pod before looking back toward 'Jaune' as he raised his shield, looking down at the hallway before him. 'Jaune' turned, giving her a nod of encouragement, and 'Pyrrha' turned to the pod, stepping inside. Lowering herself down, 'Pyrrha' looked up hesitantly as the door shut with an ominous click.

"Are you ready?" Ozpin asked, typing in the final commands.

Looking over, 'Pyrrha' nodded.

"I... need to hear you say it," Ozpin requested.

"Yes," 'Pyrrha' replied, her eyes flashing with determination. "I'm ready."

"Thank you, Ms. Nikos," Ozpin said, and his eyes flashed. "Your sacrifice will not be in vain." Ozpin flipped a switch, and the second pod rose into the air.

Glancing over his shoulder, 'Jaune's' eyes widened as Amber's eyes fluttered open momentarily. With a flash, her body started glowing orange, and flame-like energy rose up through a set of cables and to a large converter before coming back down into 'Pyrrha's' pod, eliciting a pained scream from the four-time champion.

"Pyrrha!" 'Jaune' shouted, turning to face her, running toward her pod, only for an invisible force to slam into his chest, knocking him down.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Arc," Ozpin said, looking down at him. "This is where your tale ends." Turning, he nodded as a woman dressed in a green cloak materialized beside him. "It is time we end this."

The woman nodded and, drawing a knife, turned to 'Pyrrha's' pod.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Nikos," Ozpin said as the woman advanced, weapon in hand. "This was the only way."