Chapter 6: Jaunedice

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"I don't know whether to feel sorry for Jaune or just exasperated," Phoenix commented as he watched Jaune spar Cardin below in the arena.

"No reason it can't be both," Blake replied. She and the rest of Team RWBY, along with Team JNPR, watched as Jaune was once again knocked to the ground.

"Jaune, the whole point of a shield is to use it as a shield!" Phoenix called.

"Working on it!" Jaune replied, breathing heavily. Drawing his sword, he yelled and charged Cardin, who dodged his swing and hit him with his mace, sending Jaune flying to the ground as his shield flew into the air.

"Maybe try holding onto it next time," Phoenix commented.

Jaune charged again, swinging his sword, but Cardin blocked with his mace. 

"This is the part where you lose," he growled

"Over my dead—" Jaune grunted as Cardin kicked him in the stomach, sending him to the ground.

Cardin raised his mace and was about to bring it down on him, only for a buzzer to sound, signaling the end of the match.

"Cardin, that's enough," Miss Goodwitch stated, walking onto the arena floor. "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red." She nodded toward the two pictures above, which displayed both students' aura bars. "In a tournament-style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match."

"And this is why I don't fight in tournaments anymore," Phoenix muttered. "Too many rules."

"Mr. Arc," Goodwitch said, turning to the boy. "It's been weeks now, please try to refer to your scroll during combat. Gaging your aura will help you to decide when it is appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

"Speak for yourself," Cardin muttered.

"Remember everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other three kingdoms start arriving in Vale. So, keep practicing.

"Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale," Goodwitch called before dismissing the class.

"Geez, no pressure," Phoenix commented.

Timeskip brought to you by Phoenix using Cardin as a punching bag

"So, there we were," Nora said as she and the rest of Team JNPR sat down across from Team RWBY in the mess hall. "In the middle of the night."