Chapter 25: Lessons Learned

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

"The randomization process is complete!" Port called over the stadium's speakers. "Ladies and gentlemen, your Doubles Tournament line-up!"

The crowd erupted into cheers as Port announced, "Emerald and Mercury of Haven... Versus... Coco and Yatsuhashi of Beacon!"

"This'll be an interesting fight," Phoenix commented from his place next to his sister as they sat next to Team RWBY and Team JNPR.

"So it would seem," Cinder acknowledged.

With a metallic groan, the arena changed into four sections, which included a battered urban city, a large field with tall grass, a forest, and a large area of boulders covered in water and geysers.

As the crowd cheered, Coco tipped her glasses at Emerald. "Hey. Love the outfit, kid."

"I'll try not to get blood on it," Emerald replied with a smirk.

Sighing, Yatsuhashi got to his feet from his meditation position. "I can't promise you'll leave without a scratch," he stated, drawing his sword.

"I won't be the one bleeding," Emerald countered.

"Oh, I like her," Coco commented.

"Not if you knew her," Mercury replied, earning an elbow from Emerald.

"Three, Two, One, Begin!" Port shouted.

Smirking, Mercury and Emerald slowly backed into the field behind them, disappearing into the tall grass.

Exchanging a look with Yatsuhashi, Coco unfurled her handbag into her minigun and opened fire, mowing down the grass in front of her.

Grinning, Coco hefted her minigun as the smoke cleared, revealing no sign of Mercury or Emerald. "Huh?"

The two of them looked around, but neither of the enemy team members was to be found.

"Look out!" Blake shouted.

Falling from above, Mercury aimed a kick at Coco, only for Yatsuhashi to intercept with his blade.

Slamming into Yatsuhashi's weapon, Mercury kicked off it, landing on his feet. Coco opened fire, and Mercury darted forward, running in an arc toward them with his body moving almost parallel to the ground.

"He's pretty good," Yang commented.

"Yeah, but where's Emerald?" Blake asked, looking around.

Jumping over Coco and landing between her and Yatsuhashi, Mercury spun, delivering a kick to Coco as he spun into the air to deliver a brutal blow to Yatsuhashi. Spinning again, he landed another kick to Yatsuhashi's head, sending him staggering backward.

Coco aimed her minigun and fired, but Mercury shot into the air. Landing on Coco's minigun and kicking her in the face, Mercury flipped into the air, positioning himself so that he had Coco with her minigun pinned against Yatsuhashi's torso.

Eyes narrowing, Coco changed her minigun back into a handbag and swung at Mercury's head, only for him to backflip out of the way. Landing on his hands, he sprung to his feet, launching a pair of spiraling Dust shells toward them.

Raising their weapons, Coco and Yatsuhashi deflected the rounds, causing them to explode behind them. Looking up, they saw Mercury spinning around amid a tornado of Dust bullets.