Chapter 1

"Lucas, no don't do that, I can't," I whine to my seventeen-year-old boyfriend, Lucas Mitchell, who has just added another five pounds of weight on each end of the sixty pounds I was already pressing with the barbell

"Oh, come on Kayl, you got this," Lucas smirks from where he is standing behind me while he spots me, his hazel eyes locked on my ocean green eyes in the mirror along the far wall of the home gym setup in his parents' garage. He has his perfect six-foot-two body dressed in his bright blue muscle tee with a crew neckline he has paired with his black pair of athletic shorts with an elastic waistband. His short medium ash blonde hair is lined with sweat and his feet are in his black pair of training shoes with black laces and white soles and Nike logos.

The home gym is set up in the back half of the single carport portion of the three-car garage where they have a black freestanding utility bench set with a squat rack, a bronze steel power tower, a 300-pound weight bar set, multiple sets of dumbbells ranging from twenty pounds to sixty pounds, a few medicine balls ranging from five to forty pounds and a gray stability ball. They even have their gray epoxied concrete garage flooring covered by black gym mats for better support. There are also three black box fans spread out around the area, all plugged into an outlet along the back wall with the door to their backyard, one fan is plugged into the outlet while the other two are on an outdoor extension cord to be moved around the setup. There are also enough frameless mirrors to cover part of the far wall, opposite the wall with the door to the house.

"I'm tired," I huff since we have been working out on and off for almost two hours and I'm running on too little sleep to be keeping up with him like this. I am wearing my bright pink racerback tank top with a high crew neckline and a slight burnout detail along the front to show off part of my white rose gold zip-up sports bra which has a scoop neckline and back and mesh wings. I have paired them with my black pair of athletic shorts with a drawstring on the elastic waistband while I slid my feet inside my black pair of training shoes with black laces, white and black soles, and hot pink outlined black Nike logos. I had pulled my long mocha brown balayage hair up onto a bun on the top of my five-foot-eight frame, but it's fallen apart some since we started. I bravely kept my sterling silver double looped heart pendant necklace that has diamonds lining the top half of the first heart and the bottom of the second heart around my neck, just like it has been since I got it from Lucas as part of my sixteenth birthday gift, despite knowing we were going to be working out this morning.

"Oh really? Why's that?" he teases, knowing he kept me up past midnight, knowing I had to help out at home before I could come meet him at his house for the workout.

Both of our parents own and run successful Thoroughbred racehorse breeding and training operations, both located on different sides of the outskirts of Lexington, Kentucky, Shadow Ridge Farm and Misty River Ranch.

While Lucas's parents, Jason and Kelley, are less lenient on him helping out since he's been back in the full swing of football since the beginning of July, I still have to get up and help out at Shadow Ridge, but the both of us love being at the track whenever we can.