Chapter 16

Late Sunday afternoon almost a week later, I'm at home where my parents, grandparents and we are getting ready to go to dinner with Kim and Ryan at Ryan's house that he's fixed up over the past year-and-a-half or so

My sister has been spending almost all of her time with Ryan when he's not working, and some nights I don't think she's even come home, which probably isn't sitting well with my dad and grandpa despite her being twenty-years-old. She might have only graduated in May, but her birthday was the day after the cutoff for the year before her, so she was nineteen-years-old when she graduated. Ryan is twenty as well, but his birthday is in June, so he graduated the year before her.

I just got back only a few hours ago with both of my parents from Elmont and to say we're all exhausted, would be an understatement. Even without the time change, the jet lag is still hitting us hard, especially after being all go-go-go this weekend at the track.

It's been a long week filled with even less answers about what's going on with Grace, even though we all went shopping Tuesday for our dresses for Homecoming since it's the first real chance we've really had as a group to go together. Things were a bit tense, but we played it off well with the other girls running a lot of interference between Grace and I.

I convinced my mom to let me bring Lucas along, and he should be arriving at my house any time now. I haven't seen him since Thursday after school and even though we talked to one another as much as possible, it was still not a lot. I had been at the track and he had an away game Friday night, that they lost by six points, then he had a double yesterday while I was once again at the track, and then I flew home and he's been catching up on sleep and homework. I also didn't want to be a seventh wheel to whatever this week's family dinner was since it was at Ryan's house, even if my dad and Kimberly aren't Lucas's biggest fans.

I'm currently upstairs in my bedroom though, just getting changed after finishing my light makeup and brushing out my hair that I've left done and natural.

The doorbell rings, sending Roxy barking as she jumps off my bed to rush down the stairs while I hurry after her, knowing that it's Lucas.

'Roxy, sit," I tell her when I reach the front door. I'm wearing my dark mint three-quarter sleeve top with a subtle v-neckline, lattice detailing on the sleeves and a banded hemline I've paired with my dark blue washed pair of cropped high-rise skinny denim capris with a double button-up closure, whiskering details on the front and contrast stitching. "Sit," I repeat after she ignores me and she finally sits, her tail wagging across the floor. I shake my head, my silver pair of thin short dangle earrings with two connected bars swaying in the movement while I unlock the door to open it up, only to Lucas standing on the other side.

"Do-do-do-doo-doo-do," he teases as he steps inside, closing the door behind him. He's dressed in his salmon Venice burnout short sleeve t-shirt that has a notch neck he paired with his dark blue washed pair of low-rise tapered leg denim jeans with whiskering details and his boots.