Chapter 20

Early Saturday afternoon, a whole week later, my parents and grandparents are at Keeneland Race Course which is about forty-five minutes away from Shadow Ridge

Kimberly had said she and Ryan would try to make it since the track is in Lexington, but since things are still tense with them and my dad about them moving in together, I wasn't holding my breath on the two of them actually showing up. She's been spending almost every waking second at his house, basically already living there with the amount of her belongings that are missing from our house, so it's only a matter of time before she full on moves in with him despite our dad being against it.

The local track in Lexington, a National Historic Landmark of the past thirty-four-years, is hosting the final six Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In'' Challenge Races this weekend. Two of them happened yesterday while the last four will be a little later this afternoon into the early evening.

The Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In'' Challenge Races is a series of races run from May to October, with the exception of four races between December and February, for horses to secure their spots in any of the fourteen races that form the Breeders' Cup World Championship Series by winning any of the races.

Today is the last chance that Magic, Dazzle, O'Malley and Snow Princess, a filly my parents purchased at an auction in early August to secure spots for the Breeders' Cup.

Snow Princess is a white three-year-old filly who has a light gray mane and tail and a light gray muzzle who my parents bought at an auction in early August.

Dazzle will be going first in the Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes, a six-furlong race over the dirt with a purse of $200,000 with a spot for the winner in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint, a seven-furlong, $1,000,000 dirt race, both are for three-year-old fillies and mares and older. Princess is after her in the First Lady Stakes, a $350,000 purse mile long turf race, the winner getting a spot in the Maker's Mark Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf, this year it will be a mile-and-three-sixteenth turf race because of the track layout at Keeneland, for $2,000,000, both also for three-year-old fillies and mares and older. Magic is racing in the $400,000 Claiborne Breeders' Futurity, the winner earning a spot in the $2,000,000 TVG Breeders' Cup Juvenile Presented by Thoroughbred Aftercare, both are mile-and-a-sixteenth dirt races only for two-year=olds. O'Malley will be closing out our weekend in the $750,000 Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes for three-year-olds and older and the winner is given a spot in the FanDuel Breeders' Cup Mile Presented by PDJF, both mile long turf races, for three-year-olds and older and $2,000,000 Breeders' Cup Mile.

Lucas should be showing up a bit later after they get out of their practice at 3:30 p.m. since they had their normal double after last night's win at their away game against Johnson Central High School. It's going to be pushing it a bit especially for Lucas to get here before the Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes with a post time forty-five minutes after practice ends and he'll need to shower and look presentable for the track twenty minutes away from Henry Clay. He is also bringing Brody and Trey with him, since the rest of our friends are joining us here as well.