Chapter 19

I wake up the following morning at 6:15 a

I wake up the following morning at 6:15 a.m. and even though I slept well, the anxiety about tonight is already beginning to creep in. I don't know if Grace is going to the dance, let alone with Carson or not, Austin's not going, especially after last night, he made that clear before making Owen take him home.

Last night, Lucas and I spent roughly an hour at Mason's party, sticking to our friends for the most part, barely mingling with anyone else. We did have some of last year's alumni come and congratulate Lucas with a job well done on being captain getting the win. The two of us also saw Carson and Grace a few times, but they kept their distance and so did we, not wanting a repeat of anything that's already gone down between us.

It's not easy having this tense, almost non-existent, friendship with Grace. With her spending time all of her time with someone she used to not like at all and I tolerate even less as of late, I don't see how things can change until he's out of the picture.

I stretch out my body, dressed in my navy blue long sleeve top with a round neckline and white piped trim and the matching shorts with a button closure along the waistband before reaching over for my phone that's on my nightstand, plugged into the charger. I only have a couple text messages from Lucas, one telling me he's home from dropping me off while the other one from about ten minutes ago, tells me he just woke up for practice. I send him a text back and climb out of bed because I'm helping out with the morning training sessions for a couple of our yearlings and some barn chores, activities I hope will help clear my mind since it's not my problem at the end of the day.

After using the bathroom where I brush my teeth and pull my hair into a ponytail, I head downstairs to let Roxy outside so she can go potty herself, grabbing an apple from the fridge on my way back upstairs to finish getting ready.

Back in the safety of my room, I change into my nile blue raglan long sleeve top which has a scoop neckline I pair with my black pair of high-rise riding tights with a wide waistband, hip pockets, reflective paneling and the AriatTrex logo along the left hip. I slip on my black lightweight jacket that has two zip-up pockets before I go back downstairs, to let Roxy in before going to the mudroom where I slide my feet inside of my black pair of leather zip-up paddock boots to go into the garage where I use the side door to get outside, making my way across the stable yard to the barns.

Lucas and I traded a few texts back and forth while we were both getting ready for our morning before he had to leave, only for him to call me just to hear my voice.

I'm not going to lie though; I appreciated that small gesture of his thanks to the anxiety I'm trying to push away.

When I enter the filly and mare training barn, I instinctively look towards Magic's currently empty stall even though she's been away from the property since April. I can't wait until after the Breeders' Cup in Keeneland when she'll be home for a couple of months at least to rest before preparing for either the Kentucky Oaks or the Derby.