Chapter 13

The next afternoon, all of my friends and I are over at Tessa's house to celebrate her seventeenth birthday

The next afternoon, all of my friends and I are over at Tessa's house to celebrate her seventeenth birthday. I have noticed though, that Grace has been on her phone an awful lot, considering that all of us are together at the moment. It makes me curious, so I take a chance to talk to her since we're alone on the small covered back patio that's just off of the dining space, refilling our drinks.

Tessa lives in a two-story cookie-cutter residential almost 1,800 square-foot country cottage style house that has light brown siding and a brown stone accent along the bottom of the two-car garage on the right side of the house that sits slightly farther forward than the rest of the house. The same stone work is at the bottom of the two pillars at the far corner and the other side of the entrance to the front porch that runs across the rest of the house. The second floor is almost completely hidden from the front if it wasn't for the three small square windows off to the left side of the house where there is a vaulted attic space.

"Who do you keep texting?" I quietly ask. I'm dressed in my blush flowy ruffle short sleeve mid-thigh length dress with a black, white, baby blue and soft green small floral print that has a self-tie v-neckline, a crochet trim along the chest and the back, an elasticized cinched waistline that has a self-tie as well as pockets I paired with my brown leather pair of western boots with double rose scallop tops, embroidery on the fifteen-inch shafts, snip toes and two-inch western heels. I have straightened my hair and pulled it back into a half-up half-down style to barely flash my large silver rectangular hoops while my eyes are currently hidden from the mid-September sunshine behind my sleek metal rose gold cat eye sunglasses with wine gradient lenses.

"What do you mean?" she snaps a little too defensively for my liking at the casual question. She is wearing her soft pink sleeveless mid-thigh length skater dress that has a v-neckline, a smocked bodice and a flowy hemline she has paired with her beige pair of wedges that have scalloped ankle and toe straps, four-inch esparto rope wrapped heels and one-inch platforms. Her hair is up in a loosely curled high ponytail, exposing her silver triple layered textured marquise drop earrings while her sleek metal gold cat eye sunglasses with brown gradient lenses are shielding her eyes.

"You've been on your phone an awful lot for someone whose friends and boyfriend are all around her," I respond.

"Are you checking up on me or something? Why are you being so nosey?"

"Because you've been acting a little weird the past couple days. I'm just making sure you're okay."

The past couple of days, she's seemed to be a little more distant and she's usually pretty open about whatever is bothering her with us girls, we all are, so I've been wondering what's going on.

"I'm fine, Kaylin. I do have other friends besides this group you know," she huffs with an annoyed tone of voice.

"Really? Like who?" I push, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Seriously, just drop it Kaylin. You're making a big deal out of nothing."

"No, not until you tell me what's up."