Chapter 9

"Hi Luc," I smile into my cell phone, mid-afternoon on Saturday, six days later while I'm up at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York where I'm lingering around the barn we have on the backside

"Hi Luc," I smile into my cell phone, mid-afternoon on Saturday, six days later while I'm up at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York where I'm lingering around the barn we have on the backside. I'm dressed in my royal blue, black and white striped sleeveless, a-line mid-thigh length dress with a halter neckline, a keyhole back which has a button-and-loop closure, an elastic waistband and an asymmetrical ruffle hemline I've paired with my white pair of cork heeled block sandals with quarter ankle straps, four-and-a-half inch heels and straps across the toes. I have my slightly oversized shine finished metal vintage crystal cat eye sunglasses with a brown metal inlay around the brown gradient lenses hiding my eyes while my hair is pulled back into a high fishtail braid, exposing my silver drop earrings that have an intricate pattern of interlocked droplets.

I flew out with my mom early yesterday morning to New York because Magic and five of our other horses, Dazzling Daze, Hard on the Rocks, HowDoYouLikeMeNow, O'Malley, and Splash of Class, are all racing this weekend.

Hard on the Rocks won the Albany Stakes, a $150,000 mile-and-an-eighth dirt race for three-year-olds while Splash of Class finished second in the six-and-a-half furlong $150,000 Seeking the Ante Stakes for two-year-old fillies yesterday. Dazzling Daze runs in about a couple of hours in the Prioress Stakes, a $200,000 six-furlong dirt race for three-year-old fillies and older mares and O'Malley runs last today in the highlight the weekend, the $500,000 Woodward Handicap, the mile-and-a-quarter dirt race for three-year-olds and older. Magic will be running tomorrow in the Spinaway Stakes, a $250,000 seven-furlong dirt race only for two-year-old fillies. HowDoYouLikeMeNow is racing early Monday evening in the Runhappy Hopeful Stakes, a $250,000 seven-furlong dirt race only for two-year-olds.

"Hi babe. What are you doing?" he questions.

"I'm just hanging out at the barn. What about you? Aren't you at practice?"

"Not exactly..."

"Where are you?"

"Why don't you turn around and find out?" he asks, letting me hear his smile.

"What are you-" I say as I turn around, only to find him walking up to me. "Lucas!" I shout, hanging up my phone before I hurry over to him and wrap my arms around his neck. 

"Hi," he beams, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist, lifting my feet off the ground before he presses his lips to mine for a sound kiss. He's wearing his light pink long sleeve classic-fit dress shirt with a button-down collar fastens to buttons on the front he's paired with his beige pair of classic-fit suit pants and his normal boots.

"Hi!" I mumble, returning the kiss with a smile while he sets me down. "What are you doing here?" I ask when I pull away a minute later since I thought he was in Lexington because of football. I was fully set on not spending our four-month anniversary physically together because of it.

"Mom and dad put Tyler and I on an early flight this morning," he tells me.

"What about practice? You're supposed to have doubles today," I say, my arms still curled around his neck, keeping us close together.