Chapter 12

A little after 8:00 a

A little after 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning later that week, I park my Traverse in a parking spot in Henry Clay's student parking lot before I scan around for Lucas's Silverado. I find it parked a few spots down in a row closer to the front than I am so I grab my backpack off my passenger seat and climb out of my SUV. I lock my car and walk over to his truck, my brown pair of booties with double tasseled diagonal zippers, brown three-and-a-half-inch stacked block heels, one-inch platforms and almond toes tapping against the pavement as I make my way across the lot. I'm dressed in my cobalt blue short sleeve top that has a scoop neckline and a shirred banded hemline I have paired with my medium blue washed pair of cuffed mid-rise denim capris that have heavy distressing and frayed pockets. My hair is up in a messy bun with chunks framing my face, my silver tapered bar earrings swinging from my ears as I walk while my eyes are hidden behind my sleek metal black cat eye sunglasses with gray smoke lenses.

This past week has been a long one, even though we had Monday off, the growing tension between Lucas and Carson has been noticeable to practically everyone, so I couldn't be more excited that it's finally Friday.

"Hey babe," Lucas smiles at me when we meet at the back of his truck after he's left our group of friends who somehow beat even me here this morning. He is wearing his white jersey with "Henry Clay Blue Devils" and his jersey number, "4", centered on the front and back in blue, "Mitchell" is across the back of his shoulders while there are blue and yellow stripes along his shoulders and his captain patch on the front of his left shoulder that he's tucked into his medium blue washed pair of low-rise athletic fit denim jeans while his brown western boots on his feet.

"Hi," I smile back, giving him a kiss. "You know, even though it's week three of the season, I still can't believe I'm dating a football player," I chuckle as I pinch the sleeve of his football jersey.

"Hey now," he huffs. "You're not just dating any ole football player, you're dating the varsity starting quarterback," he sasses.

"That's right huh?" I tease, scrunching my nose under the bridge of my sunglasses.

"Very much so," he replies before he kisses me, deeper than just a minute ago.

"Are you guys ready for the game tonight?" I ask him when I pull away, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Yeah, I think so," he nods. "Lafayette is a strong team this year, they've won both their games," he continues, mentioning the host of tonight's football game, Lafayette High School that is only about fifteen minutes from Henry Clay.

"Yeah, but so have y'all. Don't let their wins get in your head. You guys have been killing it this year already."

"Thanks babe," he smiles, leaning down to kiss me.

"You're welcome," I giggle against his lips before I return the kiss. "Let's catch up with our friends," I add when I pull away,

"Fine," he sighs before linking our hands to go join our friends who are gathered near the cafeteria and gym building.