Chapter 10

Early the next evening, my parents, Kyle, Peyton, Jeremy and I are gathered together in the slightly crowded walking ring watching Amber lead Magic around the ring with all of the other ten two-year-old fillies for the Spinaway Stakes which is set...

Early the next evening, my parents, Kyle, Peyton, Jeremy and I are gathered together in the slightly crowded walking ring watching Amber lead Magic around the ring with all of the other ten two-year-old fillies for the Spinaway Stakes which is set to start in the next fifteen minutes or so.

Lucas and I have spent most of the day together, mostly surrounded by our friends and family, trying to make sure we steered clear of Carson Hall. We didn't tell our friends he was the one who was the one we had the issue with at Nichole's party, we don't want to keep attention on it when it makes both of us upset. On the rare occasion when we did get a few minutes to ourselves, it was spent with the two of us tucked out of sight, stealing a few not semi-innocent moments together, only going so far because of where we were.

Somehow Lucas and I managed to steer clear of Carson last night and he thankfully didn't get brought up when we all went out to dinner with our families last night after getting cleaned up a little bit from a day of races. We have seen him a couple times today, but we were with our families for the day's undercard races and he kept to himself.

I'm not sure if Carson knew exactly who I was the night at Nichole's afterparty, but I find it too much of a coincidence that he was there and even hanging out with Jesse for that not to be the case. I don't understand why or what he wants from me, it's slightly concerning me though. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but it still irks me that he was acting like that, no matter who he is or that I have a boyfriend I love, he was too close to me for any sense of comfort.

The sunny weather is a nice change from the gloomy weather we had just barely twenty-four hours ago, so my favorite filly's coat is gleaming as she is strutting her stuff beside Amber in the setting sun. Magic and Amber are following behind the rest of the field since Magic randomly drew the number ten post position, a field which also includes fillies from Misty River, Park Lane and Brookside Estates.

Magic has a sorrel chestnut, almost a penny-like coat, a bright copper mane and tail, a white blaze that narrows down her face as well as four white stockings. She has quickly become my favorite horse of my parents since she's the first one I have been able to help raise and train into the young promising star of Shadow Ridge she's growing into.

"Alright Magic, go out there and run your best," I speak quietly to the filly after Amber has her stop beside me since the jockeys are going to be told to mount any minute now. I'm dressed in my lavender cap sleeve dress with a surplice bodice, a self-tie sash at the waistline and a wrap high-low skirt I paired with my heels from yesterday. I have pulled my hair up into a high bun to show off my silver textured hoops while the same sunglasses and my mini crossbody envelope bag, both from yesterday, are shielding my eyes and resting on my right shoulder.

Magic responds by tossing her head and letting out an air piercing whinny so sharp that no one would miss, earning a giggle from me just as Jeremy gets a boost up from Kyle into the saddle on her back.