Chapter 21

"Am I the only one nervous for tonight?" Aubrey asks Wednesday evening, four days later on my mom's forty-third birthday

"Am I the only one nervous for tonight?" Aubrey asks Wednesday evening, four days later on my mom's forty-third birthday. She is dressed in her light blue cable knit sweater which has a boat neckline and a ribbed hemline she's paired with her medium blue washed pair of mir-rise curvy skinny jeans with a double button closure that are tucked inside her chestnut slouchy pair of knee-high riding boots that have d-ring harness ankle straps and one inch block heels. She's straightened her hair and left it down, barely allowing her silver filigree disc drop earrings to peek through the strands of her hair.

My parents are having a birthday dinner for my mom here at home even though we had gone to dinner on Saturday. They've invited basically all of our friends and family, including the Park Lane gang and I'm hoping it isn't going to be awkward since none of us are really talking to Grace anymore.

Dinner on Saturday wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be considering what went down shortly before. I'm just chopping it up to the fact that we were all exhausted from a long week and everything else, but tonight will be different.

The past couple days at school have been like the others since everything went down with Grace and Austin, we don't talk if we see each other and we don't sit together at lunch. Austin has come back around to sitting with us and it's been nice having him back, but that doesn't mean things are better.

Lucas, Hayden, Aubrey and I are up in my bedroom, kind of hiding from our parents who are down stairs including with the rest of my family, Ryan, Wyatt, Lucas and Aubrey's family, including their siblings and Hailey.

"I don't know how I feel," I sigh from where Lucas and I are stretched out on my bed. I'm sitting against my head board and he's on his side, his head resting on a pillow in front of my legs, an arm across my lap. I'm wearing my pink cable knit slightly cropped sweater which has self-ties on both sides of the ribbed hemline which I paired with my dark blue washed pair of mid-rise skinny denim jeans that have a sequin angel wing pattern along the back of the flap pockets, my white ankle sock clad feet are tucked under my legs. I pulled my hair into a high bun, exposing my silver medium sized geometric hoops that are adorning my ears.

"How do her parents still not know?" she asks from where she's settled in-between Hayden's legs on my window seat, her back up against his chest.

"I don't know," I shrug. "Savannah says she keeps lying about why Austin isn't around."

"This whole thing is just such a fucking mess."

"How bad could it honestly be tonight?" Hayden asks.

"I guess we're about to find out because they're here," Aubrey sighs after she looks out my bedroom window.

"Oh joy," I breathe, Lucas squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"Come on, let's go. It'll make it more awkward if we don't greet them," Lucas voices as he drags himself up from my bed. He is dressed in his light gray sweater that has a crew neckline and ribbed hemline which he's paired with his faded dark blue washed pair of low-rise bootcut denim jeans with whiskering details and his boots he's wisely keeping off of my bed. He came over separately from his parents, Tyler and Hailey because he was coming straight from practice.