Chapter 24

Krist's POV

"Kit!"

"Kit!"

I was startled awake when mom barged into my room and decided to pull away my blanket. I quickly sat up and saw mom glaring at me furiously.

"Did you sleep in really late, Kit? You're gonna be late for work." She fumed as I looked at the clock.

Oh no!

"30 minutes, Kit. You need to hurry. I'd been calling you for over half an hour and you're still sleeping. Jeez..." She was still nagging when leaving my room and I instantly got out of bed, rushing to get prepared. It took me around 20 minutes to get everything done and I was wearing my watch as I walked to the dining room.

"Have breakfast before you leave." Dad looked up from his cup of coffee as he said but I shook my head, grabbing my mug from the table as I gulped down the cup of mocha.

"It's getting late now, I better leave." I told them before going to the doorstep and wore my shoes. I was unlocking the door when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Take this, eat this when you're on your way to work or when you've arrived." I took it from her and kissed her cheek softly before closing the door behind. I was passing by P'Singto's door when I stopped and stared at it.

Is he home?

I was deep in my thoughts about the message he left yesterday when the elevator opened in front of me. I broke out of my trance as I entered the elevator to the parking lot and left for work driving my own car.
_______________________________________

I received some surprised glances from my colleagues of different departments as I entered the lobby of my company and some even stopped to have a simple conversation with me.

"Where have you been, N'Krist?" I smiled to P'Wave when he greeted me in the elevator.

"I took a leave, P'. Just wanted to take a break from work and relax." I explained to him and he nodded understandingly. I didn't really want to tell everyone the truth and had no other choice but to fib. When I stepped out of the elevator into the secretary department, a figure immediately pulled me into a hug as she started babbling.

"I missed you so much, Kit. How could you leave your lovely P'Jan here all alone? Work life without you is way too boring and dull." I patted her back gently before letting her go.

"Stop the drama, P'Jan. I didn't know you liked me that much." I raised an eyebrow at her as she shrugged her shoulders sheepishly.

"Well, it's true that you're the closest friend at work. But still, welcome back."

"Thank you... It's nice to be back too." I smiled at her as she led me to my cubicle.

"So, as to welcome your return, I'd specially requested my wife to prepare lunch and desserts for you." She exclaimed excitedly as she rummaged through a bag that she placed on my desk and grabbed out a few food containers and paper bags.

"Well, your P'Nin had prepared your favourite bacon and eggs. Oh, I'd also prepare you some pancakes just in case you woke up late and haven't had your breakfast." I gazed at her surprisingly before thanking her and her spouse, P'Nin.

"You know me too well, P'Jan. Help me thank P'Nin for all these delicacies and thanks for the pancakes too. It must be hard to cook me meals when you still need to deal with those two little monsters back at home to get prepared for school."

"It's nothing, those two kiddos are getting older anyways and they know how to manage themselves already." She opened the lid of the pancakes and thrusted them at me, "Eat up before you start working. You still have a good 15 minutes to finish them."