A New-t Family

Jean and Flossie sat quietly on the Plantar's steps, awaiting Pebbs to arrive. The Plantar's were getting ready to go into Wartwood to vote for "Frog of the Year".
Hearing a "toot-toot" in the distance, the two girls perked up. Pebbs was driving Boris down the road. She waved to the kids, who excitedly got up. "Bye Hop Pop! Thanks for having us!" Flossie called out, as she rushed to Pebbs, wrapping her in a hug. "Hi mum! How was the trip?" She asked, as Jean walked over much more slowly. Pebbs hugged the axolotl back. "Hi sweetie. My trip was great. How was your stay with Hop Pop?"
Flossie got into the wagon, telling her mother about her stay. Jean climbed aboard too, and Pebbs took off, listening to her child's stories.

Jean leaned on the wagon side, half listening to Flossie's and Pebbs conversation. Her mind wondered, thinking of her mother back home. She frowned, as she tried to shake her mind from her.
"...Jean?"
Jean sat up, looking at Pebb's who was facing her. "Yeah?"
"I was just asking if you were alright?" She asked worriedly. Jean put on a smile, waving her hand. "Psh, I'm fine! Just thinking, is all." She replied. Pebbs didn't seem to buy it, but didn't say anything.
"Hey, why are we here?" Flossie asked. Jean looked around. They were in Wartwood. Pebbs chuckled. "Well, I thought we'd participate in the voting for "Frog of the Year" this year." She explained, hopping off the wagon. "We can take a few minutes to decide who we want to vote." She said. Flossie's eyes were wide with excitement. "Yay! I already know who I want to vote for!" She said, rushing off the wagon and jogging on the spot. "Jean! Hurry up! Hurry up! Hurry up! Hurry up!" She squealed.
Jean chuckled. "Wow, you're really excited." She said with a smile. Flossie grabbed her hand, making her way to the voting table.

On the way, Jean thought about who she was going to vote for. Pebbs walked beside them now, after Flossie had calmed down a bit to walk.
"Jean, have you thought about who you want to vote for?" Pebbs asked. Jean looked up at the sky, before noticing the Plantar's ahead of them. She smiled. "I think I'll vote for Anne. She may not be a frog, but she's changed so much since we'd been teleported here. She's grown, matured, and blossomed into her best self."
Pebbs smiled. "That's a great choice, Jean."

The trio were now at the table. Flossie was covering her hand over the piece of paper she was writing on, making sure no one looked. Jean chuckled, writing Anne's name on her's.

They'd finished voting, and were now walking around Wartwood. "So who did you guys vote for?" Jean asked. Flossie laughed, skipping backwards in front of Pebbs and Jean. "That's a surprise~" she said in a singsong voice. She tripped on her tail, falling to the ground. Jean helped her up.
Pebbs led the kids into a shop titled "Portrait Perfect: Have a lovely reminder of your family by getting a portrait!"
The trio were told to sit still, while the artist drew their portrait. It had only taken a few minutes, but the frog still scolded them if they moved, which Jean found funny.

Jean held the two portraits while Pebbs paid the artist. She had her arms wrapped around the two amphibians, all smiling.
Once outside, Pebbs turned to Jean. "One of them is yours, Jean. It's for when you go back home, so you can remember us." She smiled. Jean's eyes widened as she thanked the amphibian.

They were now riding back home. Flossie was sitting between Jean and Pebbs, having a nap on the human's shoulder. The trip back to the Harveston's was peaceful.
As she rested, Jean had a thought. "Hey, Pebbs?"
"Yes, Jean?"
"Well...why did you want me in your portrait? I'm not a Harveston..." she said, looking away from the newt. Pebbs turned to the human, smiling. "You are in our eyes, Jean." She stated simply.
Jean turned back to her, eyes wide. "What?"
"You've proven yourself to be apart of this family, Jean. Sticking by our side through thick and thin. Creating memories and a home along the way. If that isn't family, then I don't know what is."
Tears began to prick the corners of the humans eyes, leaning over and swiftly drawing the newt and still sleeping axolotl into a hug. Pebbs chuckled, still holding the reins tightly. "Alright, alright. That's enough. Let's get home and have some dinner, and get ready for work tomorrow, sound good?"
Jean smiled, and with a sniff let the newt go. "Okay. Thank you, Pebbs. For everything."
"You're welcome, Jean."

A/N: wanted to have an "adopted by amphibian family" moment but it's bad lol. sorry it's short compared to a LOT of my other chapters. i hadn't planned this one out like the others.