Chapter Thirty Eight : Birthday Party

It's been a few days since we came back to Singapore. Samson and I, we went to a mall to shop for a present for Josha's coming birthday party which was a day later. Earlier, we had decided to buy a present on the last day of school but we postponed the idea because I didn't feel too well. We actually already decided on what we wanted to buy but given I was an absolute amateur at audiophile products, I needed Samson's help. He is such an audio enthusiast that he owns only one headphone but he says that is all he needs, and its much better than owning multiple bad ones. He owns one of the best and clearest headphones I have ever heard and it was for a good reason - 500 bucks.

I would never justify myself purchasing such a product but maybe I spoke too early because Samson wanted to buy me my first earphones together with Josha's present. His reason is simple. Because I have not had a good earphone. And besides, nothing beats good sound. Or so he said. I just had to agree since he smiled widely and made my heart beat a little faster. I can't help but smile back at his adorable smile.

"Do you want to try this earphone?" Samson said, handing me the earphones. I took the earphones and placed then over my ears, listening to the music that played on the demo set. It wasn't as clear as Samson's headphones for sure but the price was much different too. I continued listening to the song all the while looking at Samson. He was trying on more headphones and probably made mental notes of which ones were value for our buck.

"How about this one? This one is indestructible" he said as he handed me the earphones. I took it and placed then over my ears to be greeted by a slightly less than horrible sound. I immediately took the headphones off and scowled at Samson. He just laughed.

"See? You're getting better at choosing earphones already" He said, still laughing at me. I guess what he said was kind of true because I was actually able to tell those two headphones apart just like that.

"Yeah. Sure" I said sarcastically, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"Try this one" he said as he handed me a metallic earphone that seemed rather durable and heavy. Yet when I took them, I was a little astonished at how light they were. As I put them into my ears and heard them, it was as though I was transported to an alternate dimension that only pure lovely sounds existed. Even with the surroundings so noisy, the earphones isolated me from the ambient noises which made it seem like I was in an all new world when I closed my eyes.

"Hello?" Samson said as he pulled the earphone from my ear. I broke away from that world and returned to the shop that we were in. Strange, I even forgot Samson was with me. I shuddered at that thought. Samson pulled me to other earphones which we both tried but I wasn't that impressed with. However we found a suitable priced one for Josha's present which was under a hundred but it sounded clear and nice enough.

"Let's get this set" I said to Samson while holding out the white earphone that I selected for Josha.

We took the earphones to the counter and paid for them with the help of the store assistant.
"Wait here for me" Samson said as he passed me the bag and then rushed off. I guess he went to the toilet or something.

I waited at the barricades ouside the store, looking downstairs and watching people as they streamed in and out of the mall. It was sometime before Samson came over and tapped my shoulder. I looked behind and saw Samson smiling, holding up a bag in his hands.

"I got you a present" he said, smiling so ever joyously and pushing the bag into my grasp.

"What? Why?" I managed to say, grabbing the present and rummaging in the bag to see what it was.

"Seriously?" I asked, picking up the box of earphones which I recognised were those I fell in love with so much and might have gotten it had it not been for the price tag.