Chapter Twelve: Piercing Pain

The morning that we both dreaded came silently and quickly. In the morning after our routine wash up and preparations for school, we sat down on the bed. "So it's over already huh, Charles", Samson said. Like a knife, the words pierced me. It was painful to hear that what he had was no longer mine. I gave a meek "Yeah" and tried my best to suppress the emotions within me. Then there was the awkward silence. I tried my best to pull myself together and then I voiced, "We should get going soon or we'll be late". He seemed to agree and I couldn't wait to get out of this awkward silence and terrible painful feelings. So, we grabbed out bags and headed downstairs for breakfast and left for school shortly after.

We were quiet all the way to school. I was silent because I feared that my emotions would show should I speak a word to Samson. When we got out of the car, we walked to the classroom, not saying anything to each other and sat down at our seats. It was terrible that out seats had to be next to each other. There were times I wanted to change seats with someone else but that would just make other people think that we were having a fight or something. Something I don't think we should have on top of what we already have to deal with.

Classes started as usual and we went about having to do our things. During recess, I told my clique that I had to do homework for class later and so I couldn't join them. I did that so it wouldn't make it awkward later between me and Samson, not that I actually had homework to do. As he left the classroom, I think he looked at me for a while and then he left for the canteen with the clique. I heaved a sigh of relief.

After about five minutes, I figured why not go to the bathroom. Just as I was about to leave the classroom, I saw Amanda and she asked, "Why are you alone?" I shrugged, "I have some homework to do so I stayed back in class. But now, I'm done already." "Oh. I'm going to go to get some food from the canteen want to come along?" she asked. Heck, why not? It sure beats going to the canteen alone. Besides, I'm a little hungry. I nodded. So, we went to the canteen to buy some food. We queue for a while at the finger food stall and I bought curry fishballs while she bought some corn snacks. As we were talking about random stuffs and eating our snacks, we met with our clique who called me over. They were sniggering. "What?" I said with a fishball in my mouth, trying to sound annoyed.

"That one your girlfriend ar? Introduce to us leh." Josha said. "No wonder no time to join us today", Danesh added. I just shook my head and laughed a little at their immaturity. I looked back at Amanda who was a distance away and motioned her to tell her I need a moment more. "Ok luh ok luh. Go back to your girlfriend luh. We don't disturb you anymore Charles", Joel said. When I looked over at Samson, he had the look of hurt and then when he noticed my gaze, he looked annoyed. At that moment, he stormed off. "What's gotten into him?" mumbled Nigel. "Dunno", Josha said.

I wanted to give chase to Samson but I realised that Amanda was still waiting for me. So, I walked quickly back to Amanda and we walked back to the class. I apologised for making her wait but she said she didn't mind. We talked and walked back to her class. Before I saw her off, she said to me "It was nice talking with you Charles. Maybe one day we could have a lunch together". I shrugged, "Yeah we could". Then, I headed back to my class. I was half-expecting Samson to be inside waiting for me but he was not there. So was his bag. I got a little worried and tried to dial his phone but the line was dead, he had turned off his phone.

The last lesson for the day was Geography, but the teacher wasn't around so we had a relief teacher take over. Samson wasn't in the class but no one sound that out to the teacher so the teacher assumed everyone was present. It was luck on our part if not Samson might be in some trouble should he be caught skipping classes.

So, lessons ended and it was lucky that Samson wasn't caught for skipping classes. I do hope he is alright. Where the hell can he be? I phoned Uncle Tang and asked if Samson had gone home but he told me that Samson hasn't been home. I told him that I would be going home by myself today so we hung up after that. Where in the world could he be? I tried calling him again on his mobile but it was still the same dead tone.