Chapter Fifteen: Time of change

Time really does fly when you are with your loved ones. Particularly for me, it's just with a loved one - Samson. We spent weeks being together, practicing hard for the concert and now, the concert is just a day later.

"Hey guys. Tomorrow's the big day! Let's do our best okay?" Samson said to everyone in the percussion ensemble. As everyone cheered along to his encouragement, Shawn interrupted, "Let's practice a few more times today then we'll practice tomorrow at the venue itself". Everyone agreed silently. It was going to be my first performance and I got no idea what it would be like. I just hope I would look as cool as my boyfriend on stage. In truth, I was nervous and excited at the same time. We practiced for a couple of times and the leaders felt that we had almost perfected the song so we decided to call it a day.

"Hey guys. Tomorrow is a big day for us! Let's out in our best effort for this last practice ok?" Joseph, the senior of the percussion ensemble said to us. Everyone nodded their heads in unison. It was finally the day before we had to go and play at the esplanade or what Singaporeans term as the durian building. After practicing the piece over ten times and having Joseph breathe down our necks for mistakes and lack of vigour and spirit when playing the piece, we decided to call it a day. I just can't believe that it's been over 2 months and now we are finally going to perform at one of the biggest event I've ever been to.

"Hey Charles, are you nervous about performing tomorrow?" Amanda asked. I nodded but i was actually more excited than nervous. I love the applause the audience gave. It was just purely satisfying. "Well, I would say don't be. But, this is my first time performing too so I guess I don't have enough experience to tell you to not be", she said. "Then let's do our best tomorrow then", I replied. Just then Samson came over and motioned me towards a car. There, Uncle Tang was in the black Mercedes waiting for us to board so i waved goodbye at Amanda and went into the car with Samson.

"So, what were u discussing with Amanda?" He asked. "Erm. Nothing much really. Just about tomorrow's performance...", I looked over and caught a look of annoyance in his eyes. So I continued, "Do you think that we'll do well tomorrow. I'm a little nervous actually." He looked at me with a look of surprise. "Is this... you're first time performing Charles?" "Yes. Young master has never performed in front of anyone other than his mother even though we always hear him playing extremely well on the guitar and piano", Uncle Tang said, eyes still on the road.

Samson chuckled a bit, "well, there is nothing to be nervous about. Just think of it like there is no one there. Just like when we practiced. Look at the exit or whatever and don't focus on the audience. Just pretend there is no one around." I nodded. I wonder how many people would actually be at the performance. What if I made a terrible mistake or worse, I freeze up on stage just like how I did when I had to go up in front of the school and do a speech in America? Suddenly all my worries intensified. And I got exceedingly nervous about the performance.

It wasn't all doom and gloom though. We actually had the day off from school to go for the performance. And that makes it a day less for studying. The best thing was that we had a test on that day so we are able to skip that entirely. But, we need to wake up extremely early to be at the theatre at 8 so that we can get used to the environment and practice throughout the day.

After dinner and bathing, we sat down on the bed. Actually, I lay down on the bed, exhausted from the day of practice. "So, Charles... What would you do without me?" Samson asked, turning to look at me. It took me a few seconds to register what he was trying to ask. "What? Why do you ask that for all of the sudden?" I replied, as I suddenly got up to get on my wrist so that I could have a clearer look at him. He was frowning a little and he looked away before saying, "It's nothing. I just want to know how important I am to you". Upon hearing that, I hugged him tightly and whispered into his ears, "I love you, Samson. I need you beside me." I saw him smiling so I relaxed a little.