Nine

After signing in, Steve headed for the empty section of seats and took the one to Bucky's right. Bucky's leg anxiously jiggled the entire time, and Steve knew that it wasn't the pregnancy making that annoying. Steve would've found it unpleasant even if there wasn't a prune-size fetus in his uterus.

Reaching over, Steve placed his hand on Bucky's thigh. Instantly Bucky's leg stopped. Comfortingly, Steve gave the muscly appendage a tender squeeze. Bucky eased and Steve did too. When Steve went to remove his hand, Bucky took his hand in his flesh one, and Steve didn't care to remove it when Bucky affectionately rubbed circles on the back of his hand.

Leaning over, Bucky softly spoke right in his ear, "Ya nervous?"

Steve shrugged, glancing out the corner of his eye at Bucky who was still leaning into his space. If Steve turned his head, he could kiss the brunet. Deep in his gut there was an urge to do just that.

Steve swallowed down that urge and chewed on his own lower lip, "A little."

"Well," Bucky gave his hand a squeeze, "I'm here. If you need to squeeze my hand, you can."

Tenderly, Steve did so and appreciatively said, "Thank you."

"Of course, honey," Bucky replied, pressing a sweet kiss to Steve's temple. Shocked by the casual gesture, Steve turned to look at Bucky. Sheepishly, Bucky asked, "Too much?"

Glancing at Bucky's lips, Steve snapped his gaze back to those steel-blue eyes and assured, "No. It's fine. Just wasn't expecting it."

"So," Bucky softly started, "Would it be okay if I did it again sometime?"

Heart stuttering, Steve playfully nudged Bucky with his elbow and quietly teased, "Thought you wanted to get to know me."

Still rubbing those distracting circles into Steve's skin, Bucky confirmed, "I do."

Before he could say anything, one of the nurses called out, "Steve."

Blinking out of his trance, Steve stood from his seat and so did Bucky. As the pair followed the man down the hallway, he gestured to the scale, "Let's get your weight."

Steve nodded and went to step on the scale. Only then did he realize that he and Bucky were still holding hands. A bit reluctantly, Steve let go as he stepped on the scale. Steve had always been slender. As a kid he had trouble gaining weight and had to drink nutrient shakes to help him. So, when the man's brow quirked and jotted it down, Steve knew that he was probably underweight, and he hoped that he'd be able to gain weight.

"Right this way," the nurse led them down the hallway and to the left. Entering the room, he gestured to the exam table and said, "I'll get your vitals real quick."

Nodding, Steve climbed onto the table and hated the crinkling paper that always tore as soon as he sat on it. Meanwhile, Bucky took a seat in the chair across from him. When Bucky caught Steve's gaze, the brunet winked, making Steve blush and heart race. Considering the omega nurse was checking Steve's pulse, it wasn't ideal.

Opening up the laptop, the man started rattling off his list of medications, Steve tried not to notice how Bucky's brows rose further on his forehead with every new medication. Once done, the nurse asked, "Does that sound right?"

"I've stopped taking most of those," Steve corrected.

Glancing at Steve's abdomen, he nodded and typed a short note. When he was done, he closed the laptop and turned to the cupboards behind him. Finding a small cup with a sealed cap and individually wrapped disinfectant wipes, he turned back and handed them to Steve as he instructed, "We need a urine sample to check for protein. When you're done, place it in the little metal cabinet on the wall. And Dr. Cho will be in shortly."