Forty-Four

Strollers, swings, and clothes, oh my! So many clothes. Onesies and tanks. Little shorts that were so tiny, Steve could hardly believe that they'd fit their little guy. Even the larger clothes for when Squirt started growing seemed entirely too tiny to fit anyone. Little items of clothing with blue and green and cute animals embroidered on them.

When Steve and Bucky were told not to buy anything for Oliver until after he was born, he didn't understand why. Until now, that was. At the Baby-Q where everyone relaxed in tank tops and shorts while the kids ran through the sprinkler. Even Winnie and Nana Bella got their legs wet.

To be honest, it was Steve's best birthday. At least, the best in the last decade because nothing would be better than his pirate themed eighth birthday.

"This one's from me," Natasha said, placing a large basket in front of Steve.

Taking off the wrapping paper, Steve covered his mouth and laughed. Instead of it being like the other baskets filled with plush stuffed animals, packages of diapers, and clothes, it was a basket filled with bottles of wine. Wine with labels reading: First full night of rest, the first Baby's on the move, and first papa meltdown. Snuggled between the bottles was an envelope and a rolled up wine-red onesie. Picking up the envelope, he opened it and found an all-expense paid over-night trip to a spa resort the following weekend.

"Nattie, I can't accept this," Steve argued, knowing that the Red Room Resort and Spa was the most lavish and expensive spa around.

"You can," Natasha said, "And you will. Because you deserve it."

Tears built in his eyes, and he leaned in to hug his best friend, "I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"Sweetie, you already have," Nat assured, pulling back and wiping Steve's escaped tears. "All I've ever wanted as your friend was for you to be happy."

Of course, that only made him cry more as he leaned in for another hug. Natasha rubbed his back and Steve confirmed, "I am happy. The happiest I've been in a while."

"I know, sweetie," Natasha assured, kissing his cheek. "Now, look at the onesie."

Pulling back, Steve sniffled and wiped at his eyes. Glad that he wasn't made the center of attention as everyone ate and talked among themselves. So, he pulled the onesie out from between the different bottles of wine. Reading the white text: cutest tax deduction, and barked out a laugh.

Gaining some attention from the attendees, Bucky left his conversation with T'Challa and returned to Steve. "What's so funny?"

Turning the maroon onesie so Bucky could read it, Steve said, "This is what Nattie thinks of our child."

"Just for that, you're not godmother," Bucky joked, taking his seat next to Steve. Kissing Steve's temple, he asked, "Do you want me to get you something?"

Shaking his head, Steve rubbed Squirt and assured, "I'm okay. Thank you, though."

As they shared a sweet, chaste kiss, Natasha mocked a gag. Steve rolled his eyes and playfully agreed with Bucky, "Definitely not godmother."

"You both suck," Natasha smirked, entirely happy for the couple.

Eating some of the carrots off Bucky's plate, Steve asked, "How was your date last night?"

"That's right, you had a date," Bucky remembered, wrapping his prosthetic arm around Steve's shoulders and marked his bump.

"It did go well, yes," Nat took a drink of her watermelon lemonade.