Chapter Twenty Eight: Two Promises

Quinn didn't come back.

There's only a certain amount of time you can wait for a person, it's like trying to revive someone - you can't try forever.

There are also certain moments in my life where I feel nothing. The numb of my fingertips trails through my hair with a lifeless emotion because of what's in front of me.

The Rouges have lit fires and the flames burn through the forest trees like stars spreading across the sky.  The fire crackles through the tree trunks and bark and the smell of burnt pine carries its way through the air.

"No!" I hear many screams. Forests are sacred to a pack, like land to a tribe. And before us all, we watch as the trees turn to ashes and collapse into the air.

Max sniffs into the air, his eyebrows burrow and so do mine. I don't know what's happening anymore, it seems like everyone and everything is falling apart around us. "Max," I say under my breathe knowing he will hear me just fine because of his wolf like ears. "We need to find Jordayne."

"Why?" 

"The Rouges are Rouges, but us we have more than just wolve's. Jordayne is a sorceress she could be the key to our victory."  It makes sense that we could use all our secret weapons at once.

"I'll find her." He perks up on the balls of his feet the pounces into a ball of fur. I watch as his tail races away behind me. Max seems rather eager to help, but i suppose anyone would right now given the circumstances. 

I don't wait unproductively either. I find others to help, some more obvious to find then others. 

"Help!"  It was not only a scream for help, but a scream full of pain and fright.. like that time I ran for Claire back in the woods. But it wasn't Claire this time, but it still hurt just as much to identify the voice. 

I saw him bleeding out on the earth, with hands applying pressure to the gash in his stomach. I almost rip my backpack off my back and rush towards a very good frind of mine who looks pale and lifeless.

With the little energy i see he has he see's that I see him and in an instant I am by his side. 

"Oh Kevin..... oh Kevin..." I whisper placing his head on my lap,he looks up at me with those light brown eyes as I burrow through my bag. I grab hold of a little glass bottle with a yellow logo on it, I cluster together a ball of tissue and soak it with the disinfectant in the bottle.

"Kev, this is going to sting, but it's for the best." I slowly make him remove his hands from the open wound, and try not look at it, I just dab the tissue everywhere. I'm so scared, I'm shaking. I love Kevin. I don't want him to go.

"Thank you, Sia" He sucks in a scream. I wipe away as much blood as I can before more spills. 

"Anytime." I whisper as my hands shake while grabbing the bandage roll, I wrap it around him three times until I am satisfied with how secure he is. "I'm going to need you to keep applying pressure, okay Kev?"

He slowly nods, and it hurts to see him like this. 

"I want to thank you," He grabs hold of one of my hands, and I make sure to help him with applying the pressure to his stomach. "That time you came to find Jordayne with me." He fits a small smile in, and his complection begins to wear. "She is the best thing to ever happen to me, and the baby..." 

"You're going to be a good Dad Kevin"

"I'm going to be a good Dad." He repeats, "I'm going to be there for my pup." his lips quiver and I see his eyes turn glossy. He looks up, not at me, but the sky. "Tell Max I love him." He doesn't make eye contact with me. "I want you and Max to have the best rest of your lives together." He breathes heavy "I really like you. I love you."