Chapter 8

The day after Halloween, it was always that day where you woke up with a stomach ache, perhaps a hangover. You woke up in Diane's arms, the autumnal sun beaming through the curtains. The house was abnormally cold, you remembered something on your phone that it would rain in the early morning.

You slowly got up, letting Diane sleep. I should get the coffee pot prepared. You started up the coffee, looking out the window to check how it rained. On the ground was a plush layer of snow lightly covering everything, prompting you to grab your phone and take a picture. You saved the picture to a specific album.

Washington with Diane.
100 Photos

You looked through the album, seeing pictures of Diane, seeing pictures of the woods, pictures of Baxter... You dropped your smile, remembering your best friend. He was your bestest friend for 8 years, you had him through high school and your first published book. He wouldn't want me to be upset anymore. That was 2 weeks ago. You looked at a picture of Diane, the picture that you had burned into your memory. She was beautiful in the lighting, leaves dancing around her, the sun was her halo and she was the autumnal goddess of these woods.

You smiled, putting your phone down and sighing happily as you felt your heart swell. Life with Diane was like a waking fantasy, euphoric and something you don't ever want to fall asleep on in fear of it all going away. You felt arms wrap around your waist, making your smile become wider. "Hey babe." You heard Diane whisper, her attention switching to the snow outside. "Well... You start packing up our clothes while I get the outside decorations." Diane suggested. You nodded, handing her a thermos with her coffee the way she liked it.

You started to pack up clothes first, neatly folding Diane's sweaters and pants. She had all kinds of sweaters, but as you continued to pack clothes, a Polaroid photo fell out of the pocket of one. You lifted the photo, seeing it was of you laying on her while you both were high. You smiled, taking the photo and putting it in Diane's purse.

You finished packing up clothes and items, Diane coming in as she began to wind up the string lights. Hearing Diane come in, you ran up to her and started to warm her up, warming up her hands and giving her kisses. "I found a picture you took, I put it in your purse. I would've preferred if we made a little memory book, but only if you want to." You spoke up, feeling Diane hug you. "I think a memory book will be necessary. It'll have to be big, I plan on making eight years of memories with you." Diane's hands found yours, making you turn around and face her. "And another eight years after that." She added, trailing her hands up to cup your face.

You helped Diane pack the bags into the car, watching her lock up the house and head to the van. You had everything you needed. Phone, wallet, and keys. You had already taken your truck to her home last week, it made more sense to do so.
Diane got in on the driver's side, looking at you as she started the car. "You ready to go?" She asked, getting her seatbelt on. "Yup!" You got your seatbelt on, a long drive ahead of you both.

---

You occasionally looked up from your manga, mostly to look at Diane. The sun, although bright, made Diane look heavenly. "You know, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me." You spoke up seeing Diane look over to you. "I am?" You could practically hear her smile. "Yeah. Before I came to Washington to write, I was having the worst time. I couldn't write, my love life was nonexistent after high school, and that was a while ago. So... I'm glad I met you. I want to keep you in my life." You admitted, looking up at her. "I want to keep you in my life too." Diane pulled over at a gas station, having you go inside for snacks and drinks.

You grabbed pretzels, cookies, and hot cheetos, as well as a bottle of water and an Arizona. You brought the snacks and drinks to the counter, hearing a man come up behind you. "Hey sweetheart." He spoke to you. Only Diane can call me sweetheart. "I have a girlfriend." You grumbled, paying for the items. "Oh really?" Just as he said that, Diane came in and paid for the gas. You watched her glare at the man, having looked like a shadow before she came in. She placed a hand on your shoulder, bringing you to the van. When the man came out to go to his car, Diane made sure he left first, spending those first few minutes to check in on you. "Did you touch you?" She started with first, checking your arms. "No, he did leer though. I think you scared him." Diane softly laughed, smiling. "You think?" She turned the van on, pulling out of the driveway and continuing the trip.

When you got to her house, you got out and started to bring stuff into the house as she opened the door. "Someone's in a hurry to move in." Diane teased. "Maybe I am." You made eye contact with Diane, seeing her soften and smile. "You're more than welcome to do so."

----
A/N

I made a playlist for "In The Woods, Somewhere"!
Check on my profile and click the link provided on my profile. It'll be a Spotify link. I'll also link it here.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/29kyhmEfnLEN8kzzSHdNmQ?si=cb7dffc164c14252