Chapter 33

Diane didn't want to admit it, but she had been keeping a close eye on you as well. She also had access to your wishlists, but Diane had a secret. She had been searching everywhere, but she thinks she found it. She spent the time you went to another store with your mother talking to an artist. She was going to commission a painting of Baxter from a local artist. Having found someone in state, Diane had a deadline. December 20th, that'd be enough time to go have the painting framed and carefully wrapped.

When you came back, Diane hid her phone and continued to look around with you. Your mother was grabbing stuff that was on people's wishlists. She was pulled from your side by your mother, quickly looking over. "Diane, doesn't this look cute?" Your mother cooed, Diane looked at what your mother was referring to. What your mother was referring to was a statue of a ginger cat in a purple suit and skirt, holding a cane. Diane stared at the cat, swearing she's seen a cat like that walking around before. It had the same speck on it's chest. "That is adorable!" Diane whispered, looking at the statue. She took it up to the cashier, buying it for you. Looking at the plaque on the bottom, it read 'Ven'. "Fancy little cat, isn't she." The cashier mumbled. Diane nodded, smiling.

Walking away and keeping the 12 inch tall statue in it's bag and safe, Diane continued to look around. You like cats, I hope you like this little dapper lady. After a few hours, the three of you were off into the car. Diane kept the cat statue on her, drawn to it.

The ride home was uneventful. Diane would play with you, but you were exhausted. After an hour or so, you were all home. Getting bags inside, Diane put the statue on your side of the dresser, smiling and slightly turning the cat so the name plate was visible. She swore she saw the eye's move, but it could've been the exhaustion.

Diane found herself in your arms that night, her head on your chest as she traced small circles with her fingers. "Sleepy, honeybee?" You whispered. Diane nodded, smiling. "Me too, me too." Diane slowly found herself falling asleep, smiling as she felt your warmth.

In the morning, Diane woke up and immediately looked towards the statue of the bipedal cat. It hadn't moved, at least she didn't think it moved. Slowly getting up to get a closer look, she realized that the statue couldn't move. Hidden in the sculpting of the paws were pins keeping it in place. I should get this checked out, Diane gave a small nod and checked outside to see the state of the outdoors. It was cold, a light smattering of frost over the grass. Heading back to bed, Diane fell asleep in your arms once again.

----

Hey! Sorry for another short chapter. I've been put on antidepressants (it's been long enough lol) and my brain has been focused on Dungeons and Dragons due to a big game I'll be having tomorrow. I'll try to keep the other books updated. Also, a little Sheep Amongst Wolves reference via statue of Ven.