Chapter 16

You woke up early and went to the kitchen, first giving Diane a kiss on her cheek. You got started on making your curry, smiling to yourself that Diane helped you prep the ingredients. You were also the one to cook the bird, but you also got to cook some fake meat that your mother made from just flour and water. Mom, you're the best. While you let the curry simmer, you got to seasoning the turkey and the fake meat.

You got the turkey in the oven, molding the fake meat into a breast-like shape. Chloe came into the kitchen, leaning against the sink. "Morning." Chloe's voice was quiet, raspy almost. "How did you sleep?" You broke the awkward silence, looking over. "I slept fine. How about you?" "I slept wonderfully." You could practically feel Chloe roll her eyes, hearing her mumble under her breath.

You began to cook the tomatoes, Chloe opting to help while Diane slept. You could feel her eyes burning into you, her gaze leaving you as Diane woke up and came into the kitchen holding Pumpkin. You walked up to Diane, giving her a kiss. "Good morning, honeybee." Diane smiled, giving you another kiss. "Good morning, gummy bear." You felt Chloe staring at you, the intensity was enough to make you turn to face her. Jealousy was in her eyes, her jaw clenched as she watched you with her mother. Jealousy?

The table was set and food was ready. You got Diane's plate first as she was looking for a movie. Chloe had gotten her food already, eyes locked on you as you came into the room. "How come you guys don't sit all together during dinner?" Chloe asked, drawing your attention. "Oh, it's because we all have different ways of being comfortable while eating. Some of us prefer eating alone, some of us like to eat in a room with others." You explained, smiling. Chloe returned the smile, then you went to get your plate. You got much of the same as you got Diane, but chose to get some turkey as well.

Sitting down, you sat beside Diane as you ate. It had been so long since you had meat, so used to vegetarian as that's what Diane's diet was. As you took a bite into meat it made your stomach leap for joy, it was delicious and soft. The three of you ate quietly, eyes focused on the movie. You remembered something, going into the kitchen and coming back with 3 wine glasses, a bottle of Pinot Noir and sparkling water. You poured Chloe sparkling water, wine for you and Diane. When you sat down, Diane gave you a kiss as a thank you, Chloe's eyes locked on the two of you.

It wasn't until after dinner that Chloe began to act odd. Diane pulled her aside, the two too quiet to be heard. You brought the two their dessert, Chloe turning to look at you. The look in her eyes when you looked at Diane was jealousy.

By the time the night arrived, Chloe and Diane were not speaking to each other. As you went to your room, that's when Chloe and Diane started to fight. "What's your damage, Chloe? You have been staring at (Y/N) all day and on top of that, you have had the worst attitude." You heard frustration and concern in Diane's voice, to which Chloe snapped at her. "Oh, I'm the issue? Really, I'm the fucking issue? She's 26! She's old enough to be your daughter and you're worried about me!? It'd be much more appropriate if I was with her, not you! You have a history of being a complete ass and yet I'm the issue?" You got up, going to where the argument was. You saw Chloe practically backing Diane into a corner, then Diane locked her eyes with you.

You saw and heard Chloe strike Diane, that was when Diane straightened up. She placed her hands on Chloe's shoulders, eyes turned to Chloe. "Don't you ever strike me again, especially while in the house of your soon-to-be Step-Mother." Diane hissed. Chloe sat on the couch, shocked and angry at herself. You walked up to Diane, giving her a hug. "Are you okay?" "I'm fine, I can handle a slap." You gave her a kiss, looking back at Chloe and then to Diane. "I'll take Chloe to bed, see you in bed."

You headed to bed, waiting for Diane. You fell asleep before Diane got in bed, stirring as she got in bed behind you, but not fully waking up. When you woke up, Diane was holding you tightly. She was in a deep sleep, not budging a muscle.

You fell back asleep, letting Diane continue to sleep. When you woke up again, Diane was slowly climbing out of bed. She looked exhausted, Chloe came out of her room equally as exhausted. Must've been a long conversation. You went back to sleep, too tired and comfortable to move. "Come on, gummy bear. Let's go get a coffee." Diane spoke softly, your head perking up. "Starbucks?" Your question was answered with a nod.

You got out of bed, going to the car and heading out to Starbucks with Diane and Chloe. The tension wasn't there anymore, the energy calm. You talked to Diane about what to do when getting home, she suggested Christmas shopping, especially next Friday as stores won't be as crowded. You nodded, sipping your cinnamon roll frappechino happily. I love you, Diane.