Chapter 36

Sitting at the table, you and Diane looked over mail. She refused to talk about her dream, to which you understood why. Diane opened the most recent letter, her eyes widening with fear. "What is it?" You asked quietly. "A court order, from Chloe's biological parents... They... They are pressing charges." Diane whispered. "It's from the supreme court too." She added, laying down the letter. "I don't have a chance... If I don't answer within 2 days, I'll be dead meat." She whimpered. You hugged her softly, then an idea crept up. "What if we run away?" You suggested. "Run away to where nobody can find us. We can run away to Europe, or Asia! Change our names, change our home." You added, seeing a glimmer of hope in Diane's eyes. "What about Chloe?" Diane's smile fell back to worry. "Chloe will be okay." You reassured.

The thought of running away clung to Diane. Surely it wouldn't be hard, fake a death and disappear without a trace. She eyed Pumpkin, then smiled. "We'll do it, but the house must go to Chloe." Diane whispered, finding the documents for the houses. Just as she thought, Chloe was the beneficiary. Everything was set to go in motion.

The sun of the next day rose, your eyes blinking open. Day 1. You got to packing in a waterproof bag, electronics were to be sealed in Ziploc bags twice to preserve their condition. Diane woke up, helping pack too. Everything was put in the van, the license plate changed. Saying goodbye to the house, the two of you drove off. "I know someone who will get us to Europe by boat. We can change our names there." Diane whispered. You giggled with excitement, the trip was going to be long. Washington to Florida, to Scotland.

The drive was long, but Diane and you slept in the van at night to avoid spending money and getting caught. Tonight was Day 2 and Diane had moved the cover on the ceiling of the van. Looking up, you saw the stars above a pane of glass. They glimmered so brightly. Diane laid beside you, Pumpkin laying between the two of you with Rye and Barley. In the woods somewhere, you two exist.

-----

Sorry for the short chapter, I'm preparing for Chapter 37 to be the finale.