Chapter 37

WARNING ⚠️⚠️⚠️
This chapter contains the following:
The performance of dangerous actions
Near Death Experiences
Violence
Animal Death

---

Your eyes opened to Diane poking her head just above the dashboard. She looked scared, eyes wide. She looked down to you, her heart racing. "They found us." Your eyes adjusted to the darkness, getting up. "Go to the forest." You whispered, opening the door. Your eyes met the biological father of Chloe, bitterness in his gaze. Rye ran out, charging at the man. The sound of a pistol fired off, the coyote you raised falling limp to the ground. A scream rang through the air, tears running down your cheeks. Diane grabbed you, running into the conifers.

Your shoes scuffed the forest floor, the moon lighting your path. The fierce yowl of a feline cut the silence followed by a canine snarl, followed by several gunshots. Diane grabbed your hand and stopped you from falling into the raging river. You looked to Diane, mentally begging for direction. "Jump in the river." Diane mumbled. You glanced at the river, the water lunging at your feet. "You have to trust me. I'll find you at the end, I won't let you die." Diane reassured, kissing you softly. You leaped into the river, the cold water swiftly yanking you away. Just before you went under, you saw Diane dive in.

The current pulled you down into the cold depths, fighting to stay above. You managed to get just a breath before a rock smacked against your back. The air escaped your lungs, being dragged under once again. The darkness soon took over, the soft touch of Baxter laying beside you. You swore you could hear his breathing.

Diane struggled to stay above the surface, but a fierce passion ran through her veins. She fought to stay above the water, exhaustion weighing her down. It only took her a moment to stay above, then tiredness.

Your eyes opened as the smell of smoke filled your senses. Looking over, you saw Diane tending to a fire. "You're alive, thank goodness." She whimpered. She hugged you tightly, smiling. "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

In just three years, a cozy cabin sat in the middle of the forest. Living in secret.

In the woods, somewhere...