TWO

"Why do we think Heathcliff reacts in this way to Catherine?" It was now our third week of studying 'Wuthering Heights' and I was enjoying every minute of it. I liked Miss Romanoff's teaching style in the way that she often let us lead the discussion, but always made sure to get her knowledgeable input in. I hadn't spoken to her privately since our first day, but we always chatted in the classroom, and I had started to like her personality. Miss Romanoff's gaze floated around the room until it landed on me.

"Because, if everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war," I offered, and was rewarded with a smile from our teacher.

"You've read War and Peace, Miss Dunn?"

I nodded profusely. "It was one of my favourites over Senior Year."

"Ever read it in Russian?"

"I would love to, but I don't know the language."

"Would you want to learn if the lessons were offered to you?"

"Absolutely!" By now, it felt like no one else was in the room, that our conversation was just between us, just like it always did. "It seems like such a beautiful, but tricky, language."

A thought seemed to pass through her head before she spoke. "Stay after class, Miss Dunn."

"Yes, Miss."

Miss Romanoff nodded before turning back to class. "How does the patriarchal structure-"

I let my focus shift as I watched Miss Romanoff walk around the room, studying the way her hips swung and how her heels clipped on the floor. I felt a tap on my elbow as I looked to my left to see my friend, Emily, shaking her head at me.

"How come Professor Romanoff is nice to you but a bitch to the rest of us?" I shook my head, suppressing a giggle.

"You know she likes being called Miss Romanoff?" I whispered back to her.

"Who told you that?" Emily looked stumped.

"She did," I replied as I turned back to face the front. One of our classmates was talking about his interpretation of the impact of the patriarchal structure, but Miss Romanoff was looking at me with a disapproving look on her face.

"Sorry," I mouthed, and I saw her lips morph into a small smile before rolling her eyes at me. My stomach flipped as she did this and I felt myself getting hotter.

"Don't," I thought to myself, forcing myself to listen to the guy drone on until the bell rang. Everyone gratefully jumped out of their seats and started leaving.

Emily called to me, "I'll see you at the dorm, Desi?"

"Sure, see you later Em." I waved her goodbye as I stayed sat in my seat, watching Miss Romanoff walk over to my desk before she placed herself on it, resting on her hands as she looked down at me. I couldn't help but be drawn to her eyes, the emeralds threatening me to risk everything and explore them in more detail.

"Desi?" I felt butterflies as she mulled the name over in her mouth, disbelieving that her saying my name could do so much to me.

"It's easier than Desdemona and more modern."

"That makes sense, I like it, it's pretty."

"Thank you," I uttered, feeling myself get smaller in my seat underneath her.

To my immediate relief, she stood up again and started pacing in front of my desk.

"I was wondering if you wanted Russian lessons."

"With whom?"

"With me." She stopped in front of me, her gaze searching longingly into mine.

"With you?" I felt myself smile but bit my lip to stop myself.

She faltered at my last question, clearly seeing it as a rejection. "It was just an idea, don't even worry about it, it was a stupid idea." She started walking away so I jumped up and pulled on her arm, making her face me. Her eyes met mine and I saw her pupils dilate as I smiled softly at her.

"Hey, I didn't say no! I was just trying to understand why you would want to teach me, you probably have much better things to do than spend even more time with me."

"No, Desi, I don't," she whispered under her breath, before speaking at a normal level. "If I'm honest, I don't really have any friends, all the other professors are twice my age and boring as fuck," I giggled at this, "and I would really love to speak my native tongue with someone, and you are really special, Miss Dunn."

I pushed the compliment away, saying, "Your native tongue? You grew up in Russia?"

She just nodded, pain filling her eyes.

"I would love to, Miss Romanoff."

"Really?" Her green eyes met mine and I could see the excitement in them. "You would really want to?"

"Absolutely."

"Eeek, this is amazing!" She shrieked pulling me into a hug. I felt myself soften into her wondrous touch, breathing in her scent that radiated off of her. I felt her start to pull away, realising what she had done, but I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer, enjoying the physical contact and wanting to prolong it.

"You know, if this is going to work, you'll have to call me Natasha," she hummed into my hair as the hug went on.

"Well then, to you I'm Desi."

She pulled away, smiling as she brushed a piece of stray hair away from my face.

"Okay then, Desi."

"When do we start, Natasha?" I enjoyed the feel of her name in my mouth, and I could tell she like me saying it.

"How about Friday, at 4 pm, in my office?"

Two whole days I had to wait. I pushed the disappointment aside and smiled at her, nodding.

"See you then, Natasha," I smiled, picking up my bag.

"Bye, Desi."