FORTY-THREE

The Holiday - Week 1

"Desi, why are you being so grumpy?" Natasha called out after me as I walked into the bathroom, leaving our new, nice, bright hotel room behind me.

"I'm not!" I huffed back, sitting on the counter.

"Desi, you haven't said a full sentence to me since we got off the plane, and you won't even make eye contact, what is up with you!" Natasha stood in front of me with her hands on her hips.

I looked up and stared into her green eyes. "There, eye contact."

Natasha cupped my face with her hands and I relaxed against her gentle touch. "Baby, tell me what's wrong."

Her delicate voice and soft touch brought tears to my eyes. "I got my period today," I mumbled.

"What was that honey?"

"I'm bleeding!"

Natasha chuckled under her breath. "Oh, baby. You could have just told me, I know what to do. We can get chocolate ice cream from room service if you'd like."

"But I'm bleeding!" I whined, pouting.

"Yes, angel, that's how periods generally work."

"How come I've never seen you deal with periods?" Period Desi and non-period Desi were two very different people, and period Desi was often very blunt.

Natasha sighed and looked away but I brought her head back with her chin and caressed her jaw. "I was sterilised. Involuntary hysterectomy."

"Involuntary?" I whispered the word like it was forbidden, and Natasha nodded sadly. I kissed her forehead and pulled her in for a hug. "I'm sorry, Tasha. I'm so so sorry."

Natasha just shrugged her shoulders dismissively.

"Nu uh, I'm not letting you be all stoic and emotionless, you can cry about this Tasha. No one is going to think any less of you if you do." Soon enough, after a few seconds of silence, I felt Natasha's body start to shake, and wet spots started to form on my shoulder. I rubbed her back soothingly as she whimpered into me, holding me almost too tight, but I just let her do what she needed.

She pulled away after some time, wiping under her eyes. "Thank you, baby."

"For what?" I tilted my head, trying to figure her out.

"For not judging, and for just being there for me."

"Natasha, I would never ever judge you. And I will always be here for you, beautiful. Always."

She smiled, granted it was all watery and her cheeks were red, but it made an eruption of butterflies in my stomach. "Ow, cramps." Not butterflies.

"Why are you so upset over your period?" Natasha had enough of the attention on her so she quickly turned it back to me.

"Well I'm bleeding."

"Yes, we've established that."

"I wanted to go swimming with you today."

"You can just wear a tampon," Natasha looked into my eyes, her own ones widening, "Oh you've never worn a tampon before, have you?"

I shook my head. "I bought some in the airport, I'm just scared."

"Baby, you've had a lot bigger up there," Natasha smirked and I whacked her arm, causing her to giggle. I pouted at her until she stopped laughing when she then took my hands in hers. "But, I understand that it's still scary, so how about I help you?"

"I don't want you to see my bleeding vagina, that's not sexy!"

"Desi, you're always going to be sexy to me, okay?" Natasha kissed my nose and I blushed. "Are they in your backpack?" I nodded silently and watched her walk away. I sat fiddling with my fingers until I heard her step back into the bathroom. She held up the box and signalled me to jump down and take my trousers off.