TWENTY-THREE

"That little son of a bitch!" I exclaimed as we walked into the lobby of Alex's dad's hotel. On the walk over, Natasha filled me in on Alex's plan to get her here, and I couldn't help but question absolutely everything. "You're telling me Alex managed to coordinate everything? That he managed to get his dad to give you a room at his hotel?"

"He has his ways, I'll give him that," Natasha comments, waving at Dave who was approaching.

"Desi! So nice to see you here, what's the occasion?" Dave greets me, pulling me into a hug.

"Just helping Natasha with her bags, and making sure your pie baking skills are adequate. You know how mom gets about dinner." I teased the man who was chuckling as he straightened out his tie.

"Leaving us so soon, Natasha?" Dave turned to my girlfriend, who was waiting patiently.

"Desi's parents invited me to stay, and I couldn't say no, really. But I absolutely adore your hotel, so next time I'm here and don't have a room at the Dunn's, you better have a room with my name on it, Dave!" The way Natasha won over everyone she spoke to me stunned me, but also made me love her even more. Her confidence was inspiring, but it also made me appreciate the times she would drop her guard with me.

"Ah, once you stay with Dan and Amy, you won't want to leave, isn't that right Desi?" Both adults turned to me and I had to suppress a laugh.

"I don't know, there's something really great about Rhode Island. There's this incredible place with the most beautiful library, and host for that matter." Natasha elbowed me discretely in the arm and shot me a playful look. "But, there's no place like home, as one says." Dave nodded at me understandingly and excused himself when his phone rang.

"Someone needs to teach you about the value of discretion, Desi," Natasha muttered as we walked towards the elevator to her room.

"I suppose that could be you, Miss," I pouted, watching as laughter filled Natasha's eyes as she looked at me.

"God, I missed you."

"I missed you so much, I'm so happy you're here." Once the elevator doors closed as pulled Natasha into a hug that did not last nearly long enough.

----------------------------

"Goodness me, Natasha, you packed light!" My mom gasped as we walked in through the front door with Natasha's one bag trailing behind me.

"Oh, well, a lot of my clothes have gone missing recently, I think I may have been robbed," Natasha deadpans whilst looking at my mom, whose face was growing with sympathy.

"That's awful! Was anything else taken?" I had to seriously hold myself back from laughing at my mom's genuine concern because I knew exactly where Natasha was going with her story.

"Uh, some books, a few toiletries, my heart." Natasha said the last things very quietly for only me to hear, and I shook my head at her as my eyes started to water. "But I'm pretty sure whoever took them will return them shortly, because they know that I need them back. It was probably just a practical joke from one of the students on campus."

"Desi? Did you hear about this?" My mom turned to me, and I had to pretend to sneeze to hide my probably red face.

"Uh, no mom, I didn't, but I should show Natasha her room because she's probably tired."

Mom's eyes widened and she waved her hands. "Of course, of course! I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything. Give her the tour, Desi!"

"Will do, mom, she's in very safe hands I promise!" I called to my disappearing mother and turned back to Natasha.

She stalked towards me and whispered in my ear, "She has no idea about your hands, little miss."

I just rolled my eyes at the comment and grabbed her hand and took her down the stairs to the basement where my room is. I put her bag on my bed and let her snoop around whilst I just watched her. It was surreal to see her pick up photo frames and trinkets in my childhood bedroom when I had been picturing our own room together for the future. Every now and then she chuckled at something she saw, and after a while, I felt restless, so I unzipped her bag and started to unpack.

"What are you doing?" I looked up to see Natasha frowning at me.

"For something with such beautiful eyes, I would have thought that you would actually use them."

Natasha shrieked and playfully shoved my shoulder. "I hate you, you know that!"

"I know, Natasha, I know," I smirked at her and continued pulling out of her belongings. Her hands came over mine and stopped my movements. I looked at her puzzled and we fell into some sort of staring contest.

"Desi, what are you doing?"

"I'm unpacking, Tasha."

"But this is your room, Desi. You're parents are expecting me to be living in the guest room, which is on their floor."

"Yeah, but it's not like your going to be sleeping in there, right?"

Natasha smiled softly and put her clothes back in her bag. "I think it would be better if we played it safe, my love. Just for the first couple days at least."

I huffed, "Fine. But I do have the best water pressure so you're missing out on the best showers of your life."

"I'll keep that in mind." She walked over and kissed me on the forehead before walking out and presumably finding my mother to guide her to her room. I sighed as I sat on my bed, suddenly feeling very lonely. I could hear Natasha thanking my mom from the open door and my head hit the pillow as my thoughts drowned the other noises out.

Twenty minutes later everyone was summoned to the dining room and the gingerbread house construction began. My mom and dad worked on one whilst Natasha and I were on the other, and it was really fun being all domestic with her. My parents seemed to love her, and it all felt really natural. At one point I accidentally spilt our sprinkles and Natasha freaked and wiped icing all over my face in payback.

"Tasha!" I shrieked before chasing her around the table with my piping bag. My dad stepped in and held me back so my mom could tip icing sugar over Natasha's head. In the end, we all ended up messy, but our gingerbread houses were splendid.

"We definitely won, Desi." Natasha chuckled to me, pulling a face at my dad who had previously sworn that he would win.

"Oh for sure, the Dunn parents have nothing on us. Up top!" I high fived her and we giggled in front of my sulking parents. My mom looked between before whipping out her phone and snapping a picture on her phone. Normally I would hate my mom to take pictures of me, but because it was with Natasha I would never stop her.

"Natasha, we might need to keep you around, I don't think Desi's ever been this happy." My dad smiled, looking lovingly at me as I grinned back.

"She's only happy because I'm not trying to make her do Russian grammar," Natasha nudged me with her shoulder and I nudged back, leaning on her slightly.

"Either way, we're glad Desi has you on the East coast, you've made her experience so much. She blabs about you a little too much. Miss Romanoff this, Natasha that, Professor this, it's honestly becoming repetitive." My mom was teasing, we all knew, but I still blushed nonetheless.

"Thank you, mom! You've officially made it awkward!" Everyone chuckled and I looked in the mirror that was hanging in the hallway. "Ugh, I need to clean up, I'll be in the shower." I waved and walked down to my room whilst I texted Natasha.

Bet you wish you had the best water pressure now, huh?

Tasha - Who said I wasn't joining you?

I gulped as I heard Natasha also excuse herself, run upstairs and then 5 minutes later slip into my shower. I could get used to this.