Chapter 21

Paul and Penny walked down the hall Jane had disappeared down minutes prior

Paul and Penny walked down the hall Jane had disappeared down minutes prior. "I don't understand you Paul. Why let her go if you were just gonna follow her anyway?" Penny complained as Paul looked utterly confused yet stressed out. What was I supposed to do? Pick her up and carry her out? So I'm just giving her space. Isn't that what you all want?" He rambled to Penny before she stopped dead in her tracks. "What?" He asked as she looked fearful yet glued to the spot. "This is as far as I go. I don't go looking for the darkness. That is not my job. And there's nothing but darkness ahead." She said eerily before turning around and walking away leaving a stunned Paul to begin walking once again this time completely alone.

Meanwhile Jane was walking through a door that led her into an old suburban house. It felt familiar yet Jane had never seen it herself..... it was someone else's memory. She looked at the photos hung on the wall trying to see if they were more memories but- they were pictures of a small child. Jane knew exactly where to go her feet walking her down the hall and to the last door on the left. Passing multiple doors but this one.... This one felt the most important. Opening the door it creaked loudly shining the hallway light on a little girl sat, putting together a puzzle together in the darkness of her bedroom. The puzzle making an image Jane had thought was a memory in the underground. It was a lake surrounded by green grass all over, a weird gazebo. Jane had met Penny there earlier. Asking her who's memory it even was but even she didn't know either.... No one did until now.

"This is where is began, isn't it?" Jane asked the little girl sitting on the bed hugging her arms around herself for comfort. "I don't know who you need me to be. I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy. And you....You're perfect. I know your a memory but I don't know where to turn. Or who I can trust or if I can." Jane said beginning to cry no sobs just tears rubbing down her face smudging her eyeliner a little bit. "I'm trying." Janes voice cracked as she stared at the innocent child not even looking at her. "But I don't know if I want to try anymore..." she said weakly before hearing heavy boots walking to the bedroom door. A quiet sob escaping her as she knew something bad was about to happen. A shadow of a man casting over small Kay due to the hallway light. "Sweet sweet baby Kay. There you are." He said making Jane cowering more into herself and stare at the innocent child sat on the floor.

It was her father....

"Come." He said sticking his hand out for her to grab as Kay slowly looked up from her puzzle. "I haven't finished my puzzle yet." She said confused yet completely oblivious to what was happening. "Come my sweet baby. Before mother returns." He pressed making her stand up and walk over to him taking his hand. Jane watching helplessly as she walked over to him, unaware of what he planned to do to her. "That's my good girl." He said turning to leave. She began to follow him out of the room when she looked back and..... small Kay was still sat there doing her puzzle. Kay looked up and now it was Jane holding daddy's hand being taken from the bedroom. "Bye-bye." Kay said for the first time to Jane before going back to her puzzle. Jane.... Went through it all like Kay had and fell into a stoic stage. She left his bedroom stumbling out of the house and began walking somewhere that seemed to pull her in.