CHAPTER 39

A week has gone and Five Seconds of Summer were ready to rock out and fly back to LA. Ashton's finally good to go and everybody else were bouncing back and forth in excitement. The flight's tonight and we're trying to make memories with the last day we'll get to spend with our families again before leaving for a long tour.

I was on my way back home from buying ingredients for pizza when I stop in my tracks in living room. It felt a little bit like deja vu. Everyone was there.

I knew something was wrong.

Uncle John was there, his face worried, Luke heaving and fighting tears, Ashton hanging his head in regret, Calum silent and straightfaced, even Michael was there who looked extra tired, the parents, even some of the tech staff.

"H-hey," I stuttered a bit in nervousness as I felt all their eyes on mine.

"I'm sorry, Jinny." Uncle John started. I braced myself for the news, this can never be good.

"What is it?" my voice barely a whisper.

Uncle John took something from the couch and pointed it to the TV, a remote it seems. The component opened and what I saw took my breath away.

It was a showbiz news report, showing a certain photo captured by a pap of a famous band's drummer and his bandmate's rumored girlfriend, kissing.

It was me and Ashton, on top of a building in Mexico.

I remember that day. But who knew there were paps around? I tried listening to the report but my head was swimming in the photos.

"Oh, gods."

"Jins, I'm sorry." Ashton.

"L-luke?" I was scared to talk to him. Am I the cheater now? Tears brimmed my eyes.

"Don't be. Ashton already told me. He told me he started the kiss and that you didn't want it. And basically, we were broken up that time. What should I say?"

"Then, what's all this fuss about? I mean all this drama scene is taking its toll on me. What's the sitch? If everything's cleared up between you and Ash then why's eveyrbody looking so tense?"

"Don't you understand? If the media knows this, you and Ash kissing and we get together again and people see us together, what will they think?" Luke was hysterical and as his words registered in my mind. I felt like him. Hysterical. Crazy.

We can't be together, that's what he's saying. It will cause too much commotion in the band's publicity. I can't go back with them to LA. Not as their photographer and as Luke's girlfriend. I can't.

I cried. Again. This sucks, I'm always the one crying. Fuck this whole thing. It seems everyone in the room already knows about what Luke said and that's why they're all quiet.

"Can I talk to you for a sec?" I told Luke.

His face soften and I see a small smile on his face. He walks across the room and takes my hand. We leave the room full of sorry eyes and sorry faces.

"To be honest, I don't care what the media thinks. I want to be happy and you're my happiness so we'll be together," he started as we sat on the mini-swing set on their backyard.

"No, Luke. It's for your band. If I go, I may as well wreck everything you and the boys had worked for. Yeah, maybe this'll be cleared up, but the mark will always be there, in the eyes of mediamen and in the eyes of other people."

"So, you'll stay?" his voice broke.

"I have to." I had to stay strong.

He sobbed, I looked over to him to see tears flowing down his face. I reached over and hugged him. "Oh, Luke."

"But we just got back together," he whined like a little kid.

"I know," I traced circles on his back in an attempt to comfort him.

"Promise me, you'll wait." He pulled away, wiping his eyes and speaking clearly.

"I promise," I say, not missing a beat. "You should, too."

He smirked and reached over to the back of his pants, then he produced a small white, crumpled looking rectangle.

"Here, look," he gave it to me.

At first I couldn't make out what it is. Then I realized. A polaroid photo. Of me. If I remember correctly this was back in the van, the first day of work I had with them. I was sleeping. With Calum and Michale's head on either of my shoulders. I looked like a mess with green neon hair and tired bags under my eyes.

"Now I know where that last missing film went." I chuckled but it sounded painful.

"I always keep you with me. In the pocket of my jeans. Always." he smiles his breathtakingly beautiful smile and I break down inside.

I slowly give it back to him, "Keep it. Keep me there."

"I will. Wait for me, Lei."

And he kissed me.

I don't want to think that it'll be the last but I just do. I kissed him like I'll never kiss him again, because that's what it feels like. Him leaving tonight. Who knows what might happen on tour. He'll meet other girls and who knows one of them might replace me in his heart.

I pulled away first.

"Go. Live your dreams. Be happy."

He took one last long look at me, kissed my forehead and went inside the house. They'll be gone in a few hours because I know they still have the equipments to take care of.

Few more hours and he's gone. Again.