CHAPTER 27

I stared out at the dark deserted road as we drove off to New Orleans for the next show. It must be past midnight but I couldn't sleep. Again.

Ash is snoring beside me, he fell asleep halfway into telling me a supposedly scary story but he'd been giggling the whole time. I really appreciate Ash's effort of making me feel better. He's been beside me the all these time, making me laugh, cracking jokes, making faces.

There's this deep, scary feeling that has been itching inside of me after the 'encounter' with Luke a few days ago. I hated him, he clearly hated me. I wanted to see him miserable for a change but heaven knows how seeing him like that hurts me, how it breaks my heart every time. And I just felt pathetic.

He's been ignoring me for days now, not that I want him to do otherwise but the silence is nagging me. He looks at me accusingly, like I was the one who did something wrong. But he has a point, he doesn't know I saw him smooching with that girl.

I sighed. I'm just tired of all this bullshit. I tried to convince myself Luke deserved it, he deserved being miserable.

x

x

x

"Liz?!!"

I shrieked, grinning as I saw Luke's mum walking up to us in the bus. She quickly shushed me, smiled so wide and hugged me as I stood up from the window seat. I almost just woke up, my shoulders sore from sleeping sitting down.

It was about 7 AM, we've just arrived in New Orleans and staff told me we had the morning to ourselves to walk around for a while. I was about to wake Ash up and make breakfast when she suddenly walked in.

"Lei? Oh, you child! Look at you!" she pulled away to look at me.

"Mumma Liz! I missed you!" I whisper-shouted out of excitement, Liz was so kind to me back then, so unbelievably sweet she even made me call her Mumma Liz and always cooked for me when we're at their house. I couldn't help but hug her again.

It was comforting to have someone like this. A mother-character, I savored the feeling and pulled back.

"Where's my Lucas?" she said, smiling.

I felt my smile falter a little, "U-uh, he's probably still sleeping. He's in the bunks."

She released me and walked to the back.

I went back to my seat and felt more miserable than I already felt. Will Liz hate me for hurting his son? I tried not to care much, after all, his son did the hurting first.

In a moment I can hear Luke grumbling happily from the back and shouting, "Aww, Mum!"

I smiled involuntarily, not helping myself. He really loves his mother.

And maybe his mother is the only girl he really loves.

I brushed off the idea, dismissing any thought of Luke in my mind. I shook Ashton awake, told him Liz is at the back with the boys and he quickly went there. It was sweet that the four of them boys are close to each other's mums. I was halfway into making breakfast when Liz walked out.

"We've decided to go on a little picnic today, before noon. What are you cooking?" she asked me.

"Some sandwiches..?"

"Perfect! Make more, oh, I'll help you. And some OJ, too," she smiled as I did.

We made the food silently, both of us almost synchronized, I made the sandwiches and she put them in a large container.

By 9 we were ready and Liz asked the bus driver to drop us off to this place that she said. She told the boys to get dressed and I excused myself to wash off.

I wore a large, loose gray sweater and black tights, with combat boots and a beanie. I noticed I was wearing beanies all the time, maybe because my orange hair is fading and it doesn't look too nice to me. Might have to redye it soon.

When I went out the bus already stopped and apparently we were there.

I stepped down to see we were beside a riverbank, actually a road, its side sloping down a river with a view of the city and a bridge over the river. It was pretty.

They set up blankets on the not so steep slope and we all sat down. Liz, Luke, Michael, Calum, Ashton and me.

Liz opened the container and let out all the food we prepared and we all had a magnificent breakfast. It was quiet out there, fairly peaceful and relaxing. The sun wasn't so up in the sky so its not too. I could just lay down on the grass and stare at the beautiful clouds.

x

I wanna say we had a wonderful time but I can't. Luke ruined it. Everytime Liz would talk to me, he'd intercept it and say innuendos, hinting that he just hates my guts, all the while staring daggers at me. I think Liz might have noticed but I'm not sure.

I groaned in frustration as we all drove back to the stadium, ready to prepare for the show.

Arriving at the stadium, I quickly went out, immersing myself in tasks and duties and stuff to be prepared for tonight's show. When we had a late lunch break at 2 pm, I got my own food and wandered off to eat alone.

I reached the farthest and highest side of the stadium, sat there and ate. I see some of the crew still arranging the stage, though they looked so little up here. I can't imagine how fans see the boys from up here. They look like little sticks. I stayed there and checked my twitter.

Not on purpose, I saw Luke's recent post. A panoramic shot of where we had breakfast today. Wow, was he happy. The caption gave nothing away that he was mad at the time. I could almost believe it.

But he had to put up a facade for the fans.

Or maybe he was really happy.

Maybe me dumping him just gave him freedom to date that redhead at the party. Who knows maybe she'll be here later and Luke gave her tix.

Maybe I really didn't matter to him. Maybe he wasn't that affected. Maybe I'm the only one thinking he was miserable when all the while he was relieved to be rid of me.

I shoved my phone back to the sweater's pockets, left my unfinished meal and marched down, my appetite gone.

x

I was setting up my camera at the back while the boys were in the dressing room when Liz walked up to me. She was looking at me in a way I can't fathom.

"Lei?" she said, her voice soothing and calm.

I smiled at her, "Hm?"

"What's the matter with you and Luke?" she said, spot on.

I froze. My breath hitched as I spoke, "Uhh, nothing, really."

"You know me, child. I know when something's wrong with my son and I know it has something to do with you."

I tentatively looked at her. Her face was one of the faces I loved looking at, never disapproving, never judging, always open and kind. Always looking at you with loving.

I sobbed. And the gates opened.

--

Pretty boring update, soz. Next is coming up shortly tho :)

Wassup you guys, HOLAAA. So sembreak's starting

and I might update more frequently. YAY!

And this fanfic got 1K reads, i'm already happy about it okay? Thanks yuu ILYSM X

Talk to me on twitter please, @adrenalinemgc (yep I changed my user) :)

VOTE AND COMMENT x

-sam