CHAPTER 15

THE VMAs

The next morning was a blur because of preparations for the VMAs. We had to miss two WWA shows to be able to go. The boys were supposed to have a rehearsal later in the afternoon. They were going to perform on the VMAs. I still gape at the fact that they are nominated for 2 awards and will perform. I feel that overwhelming sense of pride again. Big day everyday, huh?

Pretty soon they were onstage, rehearsing Amnesia, which they will be playing LIVE tomorrow on the VMAs. I got some few shots of the boys singing, a lot really, the set, the crew, backstage. I had to post some of these on my blog.

And before we knew it, it was the day of the VMAs.

I didn't think of much as I dressed myself that afternoon, in my usual skinny jeans and plaid, my hair in its usual green mess, my DSLR hanging in front.

I quickly went to the other staff and saw the Kahlani sisters there. Wow, they're pretty. They dressed up nice for the event. They saw me and were practically shocked, asking if I'm going to wear this to the VMAs.

"Yes. Well, camera crews don't need to dress up, do we?" I smiled hesitantly.

"No, honey. But we need to dress you up," Nicole (I can distinguish them from each other now) said, giggling to Danielle. They seemed like they were up to something.

Before I knew it I was dragged into the dressing room, the sisters putting stuff in my face, making me try outfits, dresses and some cocktail gowns.

"Why are you two doing this?" I asked them as they were putting makeup in my face.  they even asked if they could dye my hair a different color and I said yes, hell that would be cool.

They just laughed and said at the same time, "Special favor, honey."

"Of whom?" I wondered.

They just giggled among themselves again, not answering my question.

"Actually you really need to at least dress up because you'd be down there on the red carpet to take photos," Danielle started.

"And we can't have you wearing worn-out ripped jeans and a singlet on the VMA red carpet, of course," Nicole finished.

Pretty soon they were done, and I was looking at myself in the dressing room mirror the whole time.

Wow, I didn't know I could look like this, I laughed in my mind.

In the end, they made me wear a simple black dress not quite reaching my knees, it's kinda cool because it has these stuff on my shoulders like the ones on army coats where they put shoulderboards on, and the collar was black leather. The sides were bare though so they made me wear a black tube. They let me wear my combat boots, thank Gods. The stilettos they were making me wear scares me. 5 inches or higher, it would kill me.

There was makeup on my face, blush, dark red lipstick, and my eyes were - "smoky-eye" they said it was called. My hair was now bright orange on a messy bun, letting down some strands of my hair, and majority of my trimmed bangs.

They were standing behind me, looking proud of what they done. They held out my DLSR.

"Thanks Dani, Nikki," I smiled sheepishly.

"Now, Lei. You're ready for the VMAs," Nicole said.

x

I was walking around the red carpet, taking photos of the celebrities who were arriving.

I was taking shots of Lucy Hale, who was the host or interviewer or whatever when I saw the boys arrive. I was standing behind a co-cameraman because a lot of them were there, videotaping, taking shots as well.