07

"That jollof rice was the worst I have ever tasted in my whole 17 years of life." Al'amin stated hiccuping because of laugh and I eyed him.

"One more word and you will find yourself in your grave.I am not even joking." I stated and Bashir joined him in laughing "Aunty M can threaten people oo."

I roll my eyes huffing out a breath,okay I know that what I cooked tasted....awful.Very awful.

Everything was too much,it was too spicy and Ammi said I added even seasonings that are not supposed to be there,but I can't be blamed.I really don't know how to cook but I am willing to learn now.

I realized that it is so embarrassing to not know how to cook.So,better late than never.

"Maryam,come to the kitchen and help." Ammi called and I quickly stood up "Ok."

I turned to my two brothers narrowing my eyes on them "You two should fetch more water." I stated and they sigh "We still have two buckets left." Bashir stated.

"Bash,just do as I say." I stated and they huff as they stood up.

I reached the front of the kitchen then turned to them "Well,never mind I was just trying to show you who the real boss is." I stated stifling my laughter.

Ammi made me wash the dishes.Yes, I sometimes rinse my cup of tea in my toilet because I have a dispenser in my room.I am also a sucker for tea,so I make tea by myself and rinse my cup.

I have never washed many dishes,but in everything their is a first.Thinking through all this, I think am ready to embrace this new phase.I can't promise not to complain but I will try my best not to.

After washing the dishes,Ammi taught me how to use seasonings,she showed me the seasonings I am supposed to put in a jollof and the ones I am not supposed to use.It is really embarrassing to my egoistic self, I used to think I am extremely talented.

My friends even call me "The girl who can do anything."

But now that I am realizing that, I don't know how to cook,it is making me feel like they deceived me into making me feel like some sort of a superwoman.

"The amount of oil you put should determine the amount of food you will prepare." She stated and I nod my head in understanding "That also goes for the amount of water you use."

All through the cooking session, I tried to pay extra attention to whatever she said.I even jotted some important points just incase I forget.

I also decided to use youtube to my advantage by checking cooking videos, I suddenly want to become a good cook,I want to learn how to cook not to avoid further embarrassment but for my own good.

"Where is Abba?" I question clinking the spoons I was holding on the plates before letting my eyes rest on her.She is wearing a black gown with red diamond like stones at the top,she served food inside a plate and pass it to me before she replied "He went to the court."

I nod my head before shoving a spoonful of macaroni in my mouth.I savored the taste humming as I closed my eyes "My taste buds are pleased." I stated smiling widely while Ammi just chuckled.

I am happy,very happy.Me and Ammi cooked together today,we talked about different things while walking around the kitchen and she even thought me how to cook.This is like something that should be restored in my memory system.Having mother and daughter time.

Me and Ammi have always been close,but we used to always be busy with our lives despite living in the same house,we rarely see each other twice a day.Our old house is so big,everyone minds their own business.Food can be bought for you to your room when you get hungry,whenever I need something I can just call through the telephone and it will be brought to my room.

That should actually explain why I am lazy.

After having lunch,a knock resonated on our door just when I was about to enter my room "Aunty M.Can you please get the door? I am sure it is Abba." Al'amin stated while pressing his phone.I let out a low hiss before I walked to the door.

I opened the door and a familiar face smiled at me waving.

It was Ramlah.

She was wearing a Red top and a black blouse then a black himar over her head.I moved a little motioning for her to come in while I close the door "Hi." I mumbled walking further inside the house as she trailed behind me.

She said HI to Ammi and my two monkeys of brothers before we both stepped out for the big freaking tour of Jalo estate.

I rubbed my hands on my denim jeans looking at her "Are we going to enter the houses?" I questioned clipping the edge of my light pink top.

She shook her head "Their is a transparent window which can make you see everything they are doing inside.We will use it to our advantage." She winked and I smiled "I like your vibe." I stated.

"Not as much as I like yours." She replied with a smile tugging at the end of her lips.

"Their is more to Jalo estate than what we all see.Their are secrets yet to be revealed and also people who all have their own life,their struggles and difficulties of life."

I nod my head agreeing to her.

"So now,get ready for the tour of Jalo estate!"

We fist bumped each other smiling cheekily.I am excited about this!