09

The water that was in my mouth was spilled out forcefully as I heard her.No, I definitely heard her wrong.

Ramlah seems to be a nice girl,she cannot be a prostitute.She is young and upcoming.

Her laughter resonated in my ears making me stare at her like an idiot "I was just joking." I heaved a sigh of relief holding unto my heart.

"I was on the verge of having a heart attack." I stated smacking her while she only laughed more "Your face was a sight to behold." She stated trying to stable her laughter.

I rolled my eyes and walked ahead of her while she run after me "I am a student.Our college is near this place so my parents bought the apartment for me." She stated smiling widely and I nod my head in understanding.

We reached the front of our house and I smiled at Ramlah "Thank you for the tour.I had fun!" I stated hugging her while she just chuckled nodding her head.

She hugged me more tightly and that made me confused "Everything fine?" I question and she let go of me laughing a little "Yeah,I just miss home."

I pat her shoulder smiling before I stepped into our house.

Something seems off with her,but I am sure she is just probably missing home as she said.We just met yesterday so I shouldn't poke my nose into her business.

"How was the tour?" Abba asked as I sit down "It was fun.Their are many characters inside this building.Their is even a kidnapper." I stated with my face scrunch up.They all thought I was joking though,they started laughing and I was in no mood to prove myself to them so I just walked to my room.

"Clean your room,you are a lady." Ammi stated and I just raise my hand.

My room looks pretty scattered,clothes were on my bed and on the floor.My bed was not made and the room needs sweeping because of the thrash I have splattered on the floor.

Letting out a groan, I picked up all the trash and dumped it in the dustbin in the kitchen.I carried my clothes and shove them inside my box.

I straighten the bedsheet and then jump on the bed.I am done with cleaning the room!

It looks pretty neat now.

I tried reaching for my book shelf while still lying down,it was hard but my hand reached for it and I grabbed the book my hand came in contact with.

"Let's get lost in another world then!" I stated to myself as I open the book ready to skip reality.

••

All the lights of the house were off except for mine, I wiped the tears beginning to fill my eyes with the back of my hands again.Well this is a life of a bibliophile.We cry and laugh with the characters of the book we are reading.

My eyes were trying to shut down but I wanted to continue reading,finally giving up.I clamp the book shut after bookmarking where I stopped.I stood up and turned off the light of my room.

I have already changed into my ash Mickey mouse pajama,so I jumped on my bed which made a squeak.I closed my eyes embracing the peace I felt.

The night is really a time to rest for every human being,we will become a living death without the rest we get at night.

I heard movements around our door,then little calm footsteps.I didn't want to pay attention to them, I put my pillow blocking my ears and closed my eyes shut to sleep.

I was still hearing someone's movement so I opened my eyes.Fear was slowly eating me up as I stood up,everyone is asleep.

The worst thing is,their is a kidnapper inside this estate.What if the kidnapper found out about us? I gulped the lump forming in my throat as I walked out of my room as quietly as I could.

Wow this seems like a horror movie to me.I carried a mopper holding it firmly so as to use it for defending myself just incase.

I swiftly shift the key and opened the door-quietly.

I stepped out and all lights were turned off unless that of the balcony's which also serves as a veranda for us living upstairs.

I turned around twisting my head sneakily and I found a guy walking to the farthest end of the balcony.

"That must be the kidnapper." I mumbled under my breath,trickles of sweat fell from my forehead but I ignored it and followed him.

I took slow steps towards the person,my plan being hitting the kidnapper with the mop I am holding tightly right now.

Taking deep breaths, I braced myself for it.

I raised the mop and was ready to hit the kidnapper with it when he suddenly turned,every ounce of light in my body went off.All I could think about is "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE MARYAM!"

I am not ready to die, I am sure of that,well death doesn't wait until a person is ready but still....

My eyes bulge out like saucers as I let go of the mopper and turned like some sort of an athlete as I tried to run.

"Hey wait!" I stopped death in my track as my heart beat kept increasing,I felt like passing out.My lips were parted and my breathing was not normal.It was like I am having a panic attack.

Footsteps resonated in my ear,my anxiousness kept increasing as he got closer.He circled around me and stood right in front of me.I closed my eyes tightly ready to be stabbed by a knife or worst shot by a gun.

"Your mopper."

Mopper? What is that? Oh that thing we use to mop the house.

Yeah that is what a mopper is! I am so clever.

But wait!! Why is the kidnapper talking about it?

I slowly opened half of my eyes,I saw his hands handing me the mopper I came with.I clamp my lips and collect it.

"Thanks." My voice was shaking,I peeked up to have a look at him and he was staring at me like I am sort of crazy.

His brown orbs stared at me curiously and I straighten up myself "Who are you? I have never seen you around here."

I opened my mouth twice and closed it like a fish "I am Maryam.We are new here,we moved day before yesterday.Please,don't kidnap me!" I pleaded with my eyes closed and my hands joined together in a begging manner.

His laugh reached my ears.It was a soft and melodious laugh that made me start doubting if he is really a kidnapper.

"You thought I was a kidnapper?"

I nod my head staring at him "I am the tenant who live at the last house." He stated pointing at the last house upstairs.

Should I just run to our house? Or dig up a ground and enter? Or apologize?

Embarrassment is killing me people! But still,maybe he is lying.

"I have no choice but to think you are a kidnapper, since you are moving sneakily around the house at the middle of the night." I managed to say shrugging my shoulders.

"Right." He muttered as he bought out a cigarette and light it.

"You should probably get going,Mariam." He stated looking at me and I narrowed my eyes at him "It is Maryam not Mariam."

He let out a small laugh blowing off smoke from his mouth making me cringe.

"I prefer Mariam."