17

"Bye,love you too." I replied rolling my eyes as I hang up the call.

A call came through again and I picked it "Yes?"

"I love you more than you love me.I hope you stop the hide and seek soon,so that I can get to see your beautiful face." His masculine voice cut through and a little involuntary smile broke out of my lips "Sure baby." I reply,all I want to do is hang up this call "Okay then bye.See you soon."

I just hummed and he hanged up the call.He is one of my boyfriends,yes I have many.

Tahir is just one of the guys I can call my boyfriend.We obviously don't love each other,in my case I am dating just not be tagged as single.It takes a lot of time before one of my boyfriends decide to remember me,then call and say out his lines and hang up.Nothing pretty serious since I don't mind.

I believe that love is not like that.Even though I don't believe in the kind of love I see in novels, I still feel like my love life is kind of knackered behind when it comes to the words "true love".

Keeping my phone aside, I stood up and changed into my sky blue and white night gown.I feel so tired.

Letting out a yawn, I laid back on my bed.Washing clothes is tiring,it made me feel like I have fought with a thousand of people.It drained my whole energy.

I heard hushed voices in the parlor,the voices definitely belonged to my parents.It is already so late at night.

Putting my ears on the door, I tried to listen.God forgive me for eavesdropping but it is like really necessary.From the looks of it they are trying to hide what they are saying from us.

"I don't believe this.I believe this is our destiny from Allah.So, I don't think someone will be behind it." Abba said and I can already imagine him shaking his head.

Ammi sigh,which means she kind of agree with him.

"You know what scares me the most about this?" Abba questioned and Ammi hummed "The way no one is ready to help.Even my own relatives." I could already imagine him shaking his head with a distant look in his eyes.

But wait! I thought Ammi said our relatives are ready to help,it is Abba who is saying no.

This means that they all turned their backs on us? Well from the looks of it.

"I am also sad over this.What about your friends?" She questioned "They are trying to help me win the case and get back everything.But none of them is giving me money or anything, I need that the most right now."

The whole house went silent before Ammi talked "Ask them then.You can borrow the money,after everything settle down you can pay them." She advised "I can't do that.My self respect will be at stake."

Self respect should go down the gutter for all I care! We need money now.

"You shouldn't worry about self respect now,we need to be practical.You don't have much money with you,they blocked your bank account."

Ya ilahi!

"I am having a headache, I need to sleep." He mumbled "You had a tiring day,let's go and get some sleep." Ammi stated worriedly, I heard their shufflings then the closing of a door.

I hit my bed letting myself drown in sadness and then sleep.

••

After fetching water, I sat down on the cement chair near the borehole to get some fresh air,it wasn't a sunny day so the sun isn't burning me today.

Life is getting so jam packed for us.Money is such a stupid thing,one moment you have it and then the next moment,you have lost it.

I don't agree that money can't buy happiness.We use money to buy many things,yes money cannot buy some important things but forget,having money makes a person happy.

Just take a look at us,our life have become a mess since when we became poor.It is kind of absurd but I am accepting that we are poor now.

I don't even use my skin care products anymore, I don't mind having a dry and rough skin.My life is not in its best shape so my skin shouldn't matter.

A figure sat beside me and I didn't turn to look "I am having a severe headache." I heard and I cast my eyes on my feet.

"Take pain killer." I muttered "You are my pain killer,Mariam."

I let out a little forced laugh totally not in the mood "Stop being flirty Maina."

I stared at him and he seemed to be having a real headache.

"I have a question."

He gave me his usual lopsided smile "Are you asking for my full name? It is Maina Muhammad Jalo."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head "Thanks for telling me the full name,but that wasn't my question."

He shrugged "Then what is it?"

I let my eyes wander from his face to his moving fingers and legs "Why do you stay here?"

Despite having a house, I don't think he should live here,his father is rich so he should not live among us.

"Because I enjoy staying in a place with people." He replied and I chuckled "You don't like being around people and you enjoy staying in a place with people.Make it make sense,Maina."

He let out a laugh wincing in the process "You are funny,Mariam."

Shaking my head I clink my bucket with my finger "I hate being lonely.Being alone without background noise makes me lonely." His voice was tense as if he is saying something he shouldn't be saying,he seemed to be treading on his words watching them carefully.

I want to understand what he means by this.He is such a puzzle,one minute he seems like he is having a happy and perfect life then another minute,he seems like his whole world is upside down.

"Are you lonely,Maina?"

He nod his head smiling a little.

"That is why I smoke."

I have fixed the puzzle,their is something about Maina Muhammad Jalo which is heartbreaking,their is definitely a heart touching story under this lopsided smile of his.

"Can you give up smoking for a week?" I hurried question when he got out a secret "I will not let you be lonely."

He let out a laugh "Okay,then."

"But I will still use the cigarette."

"What are you gonna do then?"

I questioned "Smell it." He really seems addicted to it,I roll my eyes "No use then."

"I will do it." He seems determined.