16

Pain!

I am currently on my bed,lying down on my tummy with a small pillow on my chin,my phone is perched to the phone holder as I faked a smile at my friend who was showing me around through the video call.

She turned around showing me the beautiful trees adorning the whole place.

"Morocco is so beautiful,Emm!" She squealed and my other friends joined her "We really miss you,we wish you were here.We are having so much fun." Of course, I know how fun it is to visit a new country,go around to all the beautiful place,eat their food and also take many beautiful pictures,the drill and excitement is unbeatable.

"Well,I will call you back later Mims.Seems like Ammi is calling me." I lied flatly and her face became void of smile "This is the first video call we are having after 2 weeks.To top it all,I want us to have this tour together!"

Showing me around the place through video call will only add to my pain "That won't change the fact that, I am not there."

The rest of my friends also joined and I felt a pang of jealousy,they are all dressed beautifully with their purses full with money ready to have fun.

"Y'all are looking so lovely.Have fun! Don't forget to take beautiful pictures." I said smiling at them and they nod their head fist bumping me through the phone.

Throwing the phone to the other side, I muffled a scream.It just seems like I was never in that position.I really envy them,they are still rich and living in luxury.

"Cherish it while it last." I mumbled before letting out a childish breath.

I don't have many friends,the ones I become friends with are my vacation partners.We don't talk possibly everyday and we all don't mind.

I also didn't tell them about our situation knowing that I will be a laughing stock.Well,hello fake friends!

Mims won't laugh though,she will only sympathize with me but that will also be annoying.

I walked to the parlor still sulking as I slump on the couch "Thank God,their is no a lot of work today." I voice out and Ammi nod her head smiling "You all should use this opportunity to wash your clothes then."

Uh oh.Not again,well just not now.

"Seems like a good idea."

"Opportunity comes but once,let's use our chance now."

Who else if not my buffalos?

I rolled my eyes huffing,they all agreed so I have to agree or else Ammi will think I am a lazy bone.

"Let's get it done with." I mumbled under my breath,Ammi bought out a tattered two hundred naira from her purse and pass it to Al'amin.

"Buy detergent with it.You should manage them and bring the remaining home after you are done."

Gulping down the sad lump forming,I stood on my feet as I got the buckets "I will get more from Ramlah's house." I stated after realizing that we only have 3 buckets.

I walked to her house and knocked on the door,Ramlah opened the door dressed in a Cream abaya "I came to borrow buckets." I grumbled seemingly not in the best mood today.

"Yeah sure." She replied and got 3 buckets for me,we walked out together because she is also running late for her early morning lecture.

"You look peng." I complimented and she turned throwing me a flying kiss which made me laugh "I will come and meet you later,bye!" I heard her voice from a distance and I just nod my head knowing that she won't hear me even if I reply.

I changed my clothes into a wrapper and a t-shit then a small himar.I look like some sort of a maid.Well who even cares? We decided to just wash near the tap,it will be easier when it comes to water and the space will be enough for us.

Since it is early morning,the estate is quite which means the tenants are still sleeping.

"I can't believe our luck." Bashir muttered "Getting poor all of a sudden."

Not in the mood to talk, I let him and Al'amin do the talking as we fetch water.

We finished everything and sat down bracing ourselves to start washing.

"How is it even done?" I questioned exasperated as I throw like 5 gowns into the detergent water.

"Stop forming ajeboter.You just have scrub the dirt off." Al'amin replied making me eye him.

Well let's do this!

I used the soap and scrub the dirt off with water.The clothes seems to just get heavier all of a sudden.

"I always knew that you don't belong here,this proves me right." We heard a voice and all of us jumped terrified.The voice is familiar,it is Maina's.I turned around to the direction of the voice and saw him standing with his hands akimbo.

It seems like he is just coming back from a run.This early morning? Wow!

"What are you talking about?" I questioned taking my eyes off him.

"That is not how to wash,Mariam and brothers." He stated giving his usual lopsided smile as his brown eyes shone with mischief.

Clearing my throat, I tried to defend us but my buffalo brother Bashir answered "Well,we don't.Mind teaching us?" For the first time,Bashir's sharp mouth doesn't seem annoying to me.

I let out a little giggle.

"Sure." Maina replied nodding his head,he used Bashir's clothes to demonstrate.We were doing it right,well a little wrong .It is not hard seriously.

It is tough!

Ugh, I am internally cringing.

"Well,thanks." We all grumbled after he was done.

Maina just smiled at us waving it off "From rich to poor.Must be hard."

It was just as if my brothers were waiting for him to talk,they started complaining about almost everything.They told him how rich we used to be and also how we got into this situation.

I feel like killing them!

"Wow,I really think this has something to do with your father's enemies.The whole matter seem a little bit off,"

That made me look at him.He is right,someone definitely conspired this.

"Is there anything Abba can do then?" I questioned and he nod his head "Find out who the person is."

"That will be the only solution,or should I say the simplest."

Nodding my head, I pulled another gown and dump in to the water as I listen to him.

He glanced at his wrist watch and muttered something "Sorry what?"

He looked up at me smiling "Nothing, I am just nearly late for work.I need to go and get ready."

He said as he start walking off "You work?"

Of course, I don't think he works,he looks like a jobless rich man's son.

"Yes,Mariam.I am an architect."

Okay say what now? Cat probably got my tongue.

Maina Jalo is an architect?

Wow,mysterious much!