Chapter 1981-1990

Chapter 1981: Watch Where You’re Going

Once Jiajia returned home after being discharged from the hospital, everyone who was on good terms with the Zhai family had found out that the Zhai family were about to hold a wedding. Zhai Sheng, who had been divorced for quite a few years, was finally willing to end his bachelor life and get married. However, no one seemed to have found out whom Zhai Sheng was about to marry. It seemed as though the lady he was going to marry was not from within their circle.

But no one cared whether that bride was a real-life Cinderella and only thought that this woman must be rather capable to make Zhai Sheng agree to marry her. It was no wonder that the Zhai family did not care about that woman’s background. Nothing could be worse than Zhai Sheng remaining single, after all.

It was also the Qiu family’s fault for having raised such a daughter. Many people could not understand how Qiu Chenxi could have turned out in this manner. However, when Qiu Qin’s deeds were exposed, everyone finally came to an understanding. As compared to her biological father, Qiu Qin, Qiu Chenxi was simply throwing a small tantrum. It was no big deal at all.

“What are you looking at, uncle?” Wang Yang saw Zhu Chengqi holding something in his hands as he came down. Wang Yang thought that it was strange. Ever since his uncle started recuperating from his illness, he stopped reading the newspaper. At the very most, he would watch the news on television from time to time. So, what was it that was written in such a small font that his uncle was willing to squint to read?

Zhu Chengqi placed the invitation on the table. “It’s the Zhai family’s invitation. Zhai Sheng’s getting married.” What shocked Zhu Chengqi was the bride’s name.

Wang Yang raised his eyebrow, hoping to watch a good show. “Is that so? Where did this amazing and capable woman come from?” It was not just in his youth. Even now, Zhai Sheng was still someone he looked up to but could never catch up with. The only thing that Wang Yang could feel proud of was that Zhai Sheng was still unmarried and childless at his age.

In both aspects, he had won against Zhai Sheng. “Uncle, can I take a look?” Though this was so, Wang Yang felt a little embarrassed. The Zhai family had already produced three chiefs, and what was most frustrating was that China was a democratic country. As such, the three generations of chiefs in the Zhai family had not inherited their positions from their fathers. They had relied on their own capabilities and military achievements and had earned those positions.

Because of that, even though Zhai Sheng was getting remarried at the age of forty-five, there would still be countless people who would be willing to attend his wedding, not to mention how these people would all be powerful people in high positions acknowledged and recognized by the Zhai family. In short, everyone who was invited had a certain social standing.

Within their circle of acquaintances in Ping Cheng, everyone knew that it was Wang Yang who was taking care of his uncle, Zhu Chengqi, who was childless. Zhu Chengqi had received an invitation but Wang Yang had not. This could only mean that the Zhai family was inviting only Zhu Chengqi and not the Wang family or Wang Yang.

This meant that Wang Yang was not in the Zhai family’s circle and that the Zhai family had not accepted Wang Yang yet.

“Go ahead.” Zhu Chengqi did not stop him. If he did not let Wang Yang look at it now, Wang Yang would eventually find a way to take a closer look at the invitation anyway. Besides, there was still a month to the wedding. He was definitely not the only one who had received an invitation. If Wang Yang did not get a satisfactory answer here, he would try his best to get wind of the situation elsewhere.

Instead of letting Wang Yang waste his effort to find out about it, Zhu Chengqi preferred letting Wang Yang take a look at it in case Wang Yang had any suspicions of his own.