Dolores Umbridge

MIRA MALFOY

"I'm surprised the Ministry is still letting you walk around free, Potter. You better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Harry launched at Draco, being held back by Ron. I grabbed Draco by his arm, walking away from the three with Theo and Blaise.

"What'd I tell you? Complete nutter."

"Just stay away from me!"

Draco pulled his arm back, fixing his blazer. "Do you ever have anything nice to say, Draco?"

"You're seriously asking me that question, M?  What do you care what I say to Potter? You have no business with him, so stay out of it." Draco spat, shaking his head.

Him and Theo went into a separate carriage, leaving me and Blaise. "I love him, but sometimes I just want to strangle him."

"Surprised you're not used to it. C'mon let's find a carriage."

| |

I smacked Blaise's hand when he tried to steal some of my mashed potatoes. "You have a whole plate full of mashed potatoes. Why are you taking mine?"

"Your food always tastes different even though it's the exact same. Switch plates?" I rolled my eyes, eating off my own plate.

Dumbledore started speaking, "Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck.

"As usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you—" Dumbledore was interrupted when someone cleared their throat. Everyone was shocked— though not as shocked as Dumbledore.

Professor Dolores Umbridge stood up, with a weird wickedly smirk on her face. "Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me."

Blaise and I looked at each other, then around the Great Hall. No happy faces.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance.

"Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

She giggled, making her way back to her seat. Dumbledore clapped, everyone slowly following along. "Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating. Now, as I was saying, Mr. Filch would like me to remind you all that magic is forbidden in the corridors..."

Dumbledore went on and on, as usual. I zoned out, trying to make up Professor Umbridge's words about the Ministry.